I94-forgot to submit at airport

rngc

Registered Users (C)
Hi ,

My wife left yesterday for India. When we took the boarding pass , the lady at the ticket counter didn't take her I-94 .When we asked her, she said it will be taken at the gate.

When my wife asked at the gate, she was told that they dont take I-94 and you can go just like that.

So currently she is in India with her I-94.

Can you pls suggest what should we do now...

thanks

rngc

Save the boarding pass/tickets to prove that your wife indeed travelled outside US on that day.
The airline personnel at the check-in counter are supposed to collect I-94 from passport. I don't think they will take it at the gate.

You can go to the nearest American Consulate and turn over the I-94 and write a letter explaining what happened

Im leaving to india for a vacation this weekend. when i called to reconfirm the airline people are so ignorant of the i94 stuff. So am in a process of gathering much info as possible so that my return would be hassle free..

Please see through this link if its informative:
http://www.ccusa.com/pdf/INS Departure.pdf

Also, my GC attorney says to carry copies of all the legal docs and original approval notice so that at the port of entry while coming back there wouldnt be a problem.

BTW, did your wife do the fingerprinting and photo at the exit point? i assume she would have scanned the documents too.

Im leaving to india for a vacation this weekend. when i called to reconfirm the airline people are so ignorant of the i94 stuff. So am in a process of gathering much info as possible so that my return would be hassle free..

Please see through this link if its informative:
http://www.ccusa.com/pdf/INS Departure.pdf

Also, my GC attorney says to carry copies of all the legal docs and original approval notice so that at the port of entry while coming back there wouldnt be a problem.

BTW, did your wife do the fingerprinting and photo at the exit point? i assume she would have scanned the documents too.

During my 1st two trips in 2001 and 2002 I-94 were collected at the check-in counter. However, for the latest trip, the check-in agent stapled my I-94 to the back of my ticket, and gate agent was putting all the I-94 in one stack and ticket on the other. In my personal opinion, I don't think they (agent or immigration officer) care about I-94 since I read several incidence people collecting it back after seeing agent threw into trash, or successfully entered US and still keeping his/her I-94. If immigration officer really care, they should collect the card instead of having agent do it. Now with the new US-VISIT system, they will definitely know more detail info since info is gathered before leaving US. I'm not sure though if the GC application process will be affected although reentry into US is a successful one. I think as long as one successfully obtained visa stamp, one should be able to enter US without any problem, because if you overstay I-94 the consulate definitely won't issue a stamp and one cannot enter US.

Last edited by a moderator: