I485 to Renew Driver License in Florida

cristi

Registered Users (C)
To renew my Fl DL (DL originally issued 6 years ago) I presented my I485 SS card, and Passport, however my application was rejected because according to the officer my I485 was issued more than two years ago and by now, I should have received my GC. The date on my I485 is Oct 13/2003.

Is this correct that after two years the I485 is not considered a valid document to apply for a Driver License?

I don't have any other document to demonstrate my migratory status so what should I do.

Please advise

Thanks!!

cristi said:
To renew my Fl DL (DL originally issued 6 years ago) I presented my I485 SS card, and Passport, however my application was rejected because according to the officer my I485 was issued more than two years ago and by now, I should have received my GC. The date on my I485 is Oct 13/2003.

Is this correct that after two years the I485 is not considered a valid document to apply for a Driver License?

I don't have any other document to demonstrate my migratory status so what should I do.

Please advise

Thanks!!

Try another service person at the same DMV office, or a different DMV office, or write a letter with copies of all your documents and letter to the Director for the Florida DMV. I-485 documents don't expire until the Green Card is issued, and in some cases that can be more than two years. It is fairly typical to encounter DMV staff (who now have the added burden of being 'immigration experts') who don't know what they are talking about. Yeah, they are right: by now you 'should' have received your Green Card. But when was the last time they checked anything about backlogs and delayed cases? Never.

wik said:
Try another service person at the same DMV office, or a different DMV office, or write a letter with copies of all your documents and letter to the Director for the Florida DMV. I-485 documents don't expire until the Green Card is issued, and in some cases that can be more than two years. It is fairly typical to encounter DMV staff (who now have the added burden of being 'immigration experts') who don't know what they are talking about. Yeah, they are right: by now you 'should' have received your Green Card. But when was the last time they checked anything about backlogs and delayed cases? Never.
Thanks for the advice. I contacted the DMV through their webpage and I received an answer two days later asking me to send copy of all my documents, which I sent by Fax as requested.
After two weeks without any answer, I decided to visit another Office. This time they accepted my documents, but when they tried to contact the office that rejected them originally, they found that is closed for two weeks. They gave me another 30 days permit, and asked me to return again in a couple of weeks.....

Online renewal is only for american citizen. Try a different DMV in Florida. Some of the staff at DMV do not what they are doing.

I am not an American citizen, never poised as one either. How do you explain how I was able to renew online here in Florida?

I can't explain your case, but I think is unusual and you are very lucky.

In my case when I received my renewal notice, I tried to renew it online but a message telling me that I have to do it personally at a DMV, was given after entering my License number.

And by the way, there is another post from "Peters" today confirming that: "Online renewal is only for american citizens".

What I am saying is, you can renew it online. But, if you are not American Citizen then drivers licence won't be renewed and they won't mail you the drivers license. Only way you are going to renew is by physically going to DMV. If you renewed online you would be wasting your time and eventually find out that you have to go to DMV. So don't waste time renew online. You can renew it, but it is meaningless.

cristi said:
They gave me another 30 days permit, and asked me to return again in a couple of weeks.....
So you are able to get another 30 day permit. I was wondering what to do if I don't get the license within the 30 days ... they'll me give another 30-day permit, right?

I finally got it, less than a week before the 30 days were up.

But what is annoying is that they gave me only until the end of my I-94 (about 10 months from now). I showed my I-485 and passport which had the I-94 in it.

It seems that they give you the SHORTEST period of the multiple documents you present. If they saw the EAD, they would have given me up until its expiration date which is even sooner. Next time I'll have to remember to remove the I-94.

It's one thing to have to renew the license every year. I can live with that. But it's another when they take away the current license every time while you wait for the next one. And the stupid idiots think this is going to protect them from terrorism.