I485 Approved; Thanks to Senator\'s office

rsquare

Registered Users (C)
Hi friends,

My long and painful wait has finally come to an end. Here is a summary of my story.

INDIA, EB2, NIW - No labor
PD 11/97
RD 05/99
ND 06/99
FP 10/99
FP cleared by FBI 11/99
FP accepted by INS 12/99 - unpublished date
2 EADS
2 APs

I have contacted the local senator\'s office at the end of January assuming that my FP would expire in February (15 months from 11/99, when it was cleared by FBI). Senator\'s office was very prompt in their followup with INS and they kept updating me on the situation. It seems their contact in INS told them that my FP expire on 02/10/01 and they will see if they can tackle the case before that. 2/10 came and went. When I called the senator\'s office, they told me that their contact told them that my FP expired and that my application will now be put in a queue to send FP notices and it would be atleast 2 months before somebody will look at it and send me a FP notice. I was very disappointed. It looked like atleast 6-8 month wait from now on. After that, the story changed dramatically.

I went to local INS to apply for another AP (since I was sure I wasn\'t getting my green card any time soon). When I gave my application, I casually enquired about my FP status. I knew that the local INS would set up FP appointments with in a week, if your file is physically at their office. I thought I would try my luck to see if they would set an appointment even if the file is with TSC. The guy said - sorry they don\'t set appointments if they don\'t have the file; but I still have time since my FP expire on March 10th!!! I was shocked. I asked him 3 times to confirm that it is not Feb 10th but March 10th. He told me very clearly that the date from which 15 months is calculated is the date when INS accepts the FPs (he told me - in my case it is 12/99) and not the other two dates. I immediatly called my senator\'s office and told them about the mistake their contact made. They contacted their contact in INS and told me that our files are now with an officer and that I should call them back in a couple of days if I don\'t hear from them by then. Guess what??? I go home in the evening, listen to the automated message and our cases are approved!!!

I would have waited another 6-8 months but for two things - 1. Contacting the senator\'s office. 2. Finding out about the FP mixup.

I hope this helps some of the waiters with FP related anxieties. Let me know if you have any questions. I am waiting for my official letters. I will post my stamping experience when I get my passport stamped.

Good luck guys. This forum is my single most informative source during my long wait. I thank you all for it.

No Title

congratulations. Celebrate, and don\'t forget to send a thank you note to the senator\'s office even though they screwed up with FP date. You never know when you might their help again...plastic card, naturalization, etc.!

No Title

Thanks.

I don\'t blame the senator\'s office for the FP mess up. It is INS which gave them wrong info. In fact I appreciate their promptness once they knew about the messup.

No Title

congrats, enjoy the freedom!!!. What is the AVM saying!!!.Mine is assigned to the officer, and it is still saying case not found.

No Title

Thanks. AVM says - \'This case is approved on so and so date. A receipt is mailed to you. If you don\'t get it, contact INS ... blah blah blah.\' Before approval, you don\'t need to care about what the message says. It could say - \'Case not found\' or \'Your I 485 is received on so and so date, it takes 240-365 days...\' etc. None of these messages indicate your current status or change of status. Don\'t read too much into it, even if it changes from one of these to the other.

Good luck.

No Title

Congrats Mr. rsquare !!
Can you please give us the details of that Senator\'s office ?
This will help us in case some messup happens.

Thanks

No Title

I work in Orlando, FL and it is a Ms or Mrs.

I contacted senator Bob Graham\'s office. You need to contact your local congressman\'s office. You can get that info, if you follow the link Miscellaneous -> Communication Tips -> Online Congressional Driectory, from Immigration.Com home page.

All the senators usually have a department that handles immigration issues and the staff in that department will be well versed with the usual immigration problems. They will do all that they can to help you, if you have a genuine problem.

No Title

rsquare, thanks a lot for the reply.
And sorry about that Mr. thing.
You see what this 485 frustation
can do to you :)

No Title

How do you know it\'s assigned to an officer??
This is the first time I hear of someone who\'s case is maybe soon to be approved (hopefully) and the message says "no case"
I\'ve been asking around and everytime a case got approved they say that the AVM just before was "it will take 245-365 days to" (or similar)

So I was always very disappointed because my AVM says No case since June2000.
My ND is 11/99

what is your ND?