I485 Approval and Hartford Passport Stamping Experience

dssrriri

Registered Users (C)
Firstly - thanks to everyone on the forum for the posts, tracking and all the hard work in reporting information. Kept me going through for several years when I gave up hope.
Info

EAC0215053XXX
RD 04/03/2002
FP1 July 2002
FP2 Dec 2003
no RFE
AD 08/09/2004
Received magic email with approval from USCIS website. Called the 800 phone # and verified it to be true - yes indeed.
Recieved approval notice courtesy copy on 08/13/2004.

Stamping experience:
While going through USCIS website and Hartford sub office, found out that they no longer accept walk - in's - INFOPASS appointment was necessary from 08/16/2004. Made INFOPASS appointment for 915 am on 08/16/2004.
Showed up at the Federal Building at 900 am on 8/16.
Huge parking lot - $ 7 fee only oppiste to the Federal building. Finding parking was really easy in the lot.
Went through airport like security at entrance of building, made my way up the elevator to 4th flooor.
There were 2 separate lines - 1 for INFOPASS, and 1 for walk in's - so obviously INFOPASS was not neccessary as the website stated. There were about 10 people in the regular line also there to get their passport stamped.
However, I stood in the INFOPASS line (only one). Security guard approached me and pretty much walked me over to the reception by passing the waiting line of over 100 people - several must have cursed me out.
They explained that the new policy is walk ins are accepted but INFOPASS is prioritized.
I got a token to meet the IIO. Within 2 minutes of receiving token, my # came up as promised by passing the non INFOPASS folks.
Walked up the IIO - Hispanic lady. Very pleasant and polite. Asked me for the paperwork.
Asked for all Parole's (dating back from 2002 that I had), all EAD's likewise.
She checked passport - took my I-94, took my courtesy copy of approval notice (note I haven't received original even as of today 8/19).
Then she realized I had to get a fingerprint taken. Great - thanks for putting up a sign BCS that tells you what to do. So she withheld all my documents and asked me to go to the line on the right corner of the room that was getting fingerprints. Took about 15 minutes as there were 9 people ahead of me. The guy there (AFrican American) really unpleasant - don't bother with any pleasantries. He made me sign the document and pretty much put my finger to an inkpad (surprise - not as technical yet) and made me stamp it on the paper. By then the counter and the lady that had taken my paperwork had called her next appointment. I was worried and mad at the same time, for I was sure, she would either lose my passport, etc or she would mess something up - what if she says she doesn't recognize me.
Sure enough I waited till she finished her current appointment and she was nice enought to say 'ah, great, you're done' - she handed me my passport, took my 2 ADIT style photographs which I had gotten from my local photo stuido. I recommend that you NOT get your won photos. For $ 11 the same unpleasant guy who does the fingerprints does the photos and they cannot be refused that way. Once she took my photos, she explained that I would get my Plastic card in 60 days. I flipped through the passport and sure enough I found the magic stamp in between - lawful evidence of permanent blah blah blah.....
Just like that it was over. I left the buidling at 936 am. TOTAL time in budiling 36 minutes - WOW - that's a BCIS record - INFOPASS works - strongly recommend all to do this.
One suggestion - When you get to the 4th floor, go over to the fingerprint and photo room first, get your work done - then approach the security guard for your INFOPASS appointment - this way you wont hold up others and you will be worry free about the IIO losing your paperwork or sending you away.
Came out of the building feeling a different person. On my drive back to Westechester, NY about 90 miles away I felt like a king. Changed my mind about going to work - took rest of the day off - came home, watched Collateral afternoon show (been 9 years since Ive seen an afternoon show) - plenty of wine that night - the rest is history.
Of course 3 days have passed and now who cares - but at least the worry of visas and losing job is now gone --- PHEW.
BTW - I switched jobs in May 2004, but in the same field (CPG sales), no RFE, no nothing, though I was mentally prepared for it.
List of suggested documents for STAMPING:
1. INFOPASS appointment letter
2. Original passport valid for one year at least
3. Original last I-94
4. All Advance Parole's ever received
5. Al EAD's ever received
6. Copy of one utility bill to prove address.

GOOD LUCK TO THOSE WAITING FOR APPROVAL - your time is coming soon.