I need some advice

Jameel

Registered Users (C)
I am applying for asylum for my wife. One of the supporting documents is not in English. I have translated that (since I know that language really well)and then got it notarized. (the notary did not "verify" the translation) but am not sure if that would be acceptable to the INS. Do I need to get it translated by "licensed" translators?
I would appreciate any advice regarding this.
BTW, I called the Nebraska Service Center today to enquire about the status of my case (I-485 filed in Dec 98) and I was told that they have not recieved the "go ahead" to issue the visas for this year (2001). I find that hard to believe since some people on this forum already got their Green cards in the last few months. I was further told that I will get my green card next year (if not this year)

No Title

I believe that you have to get a licensed translator.
How did you manage to get through to Nebraska?!

No Title

Hi Jameel, thanks for posting your experience calling INS NSC. This is the second piece of information we receive confirming that INS is likely to process applications filed in FY 98. I believe NSC is taking some time to make sure they have adjudicated (or are in the process of adjudicating) applications filed at local INS offices, prior to the "go ahead" for applications filed at NSC.
As for the translation issue, if it was my case I would do through a licensed translator. If instructions are not clear, my opinion is not to take any chance when filing any application with INS. It is not worth of, and you will finally avoid future "headaches", but most important valuable and priceless time.
Maybe I am wrong, but somehow it seems to me that you actually filed your I-485 before December 98, was asked for additional information and after responding to INS inquiry you got your LIN receipt dated Dec 98? Is that correct? When did they receive your I-485?
Good luck and thanks again for posting your experience.

Keep dialing

It is a time consuming process, and you will need to be very patient. You will get busy signal but have to keep dialing until you get your call through, and after that stay in the line waiting to finally talk to someone. Make plans to stay over the phone at least 45 minutes. Only once I completed the entire process in 20 minutes.
Good luck and please post your experience. Thanks

No Title

Hi Alanapero, Hi annv. Thanks for the advice. To answer your question Alanpero, I filed my I-485 application in Dec-98. I had filed in Nov 98 but they sent it back because it was missing something. The receit that I got from INS says Dec 98 too. For some reason my case # starts with WAC 99.
I had filed my application at the California Service center but after holding it for 2 years, they transferred it to NSC. I was called for figerprinting twice in the first 2 years of filing the application. When I asked the INS lady that I talked to recently about that, she said there must have been some mistake on INS\'s part (that I was called for fingerprinting) and she apologized for it.

Regards,
Jameel

Some Eagerness

I have just done my fingerprint to INS office in Norfolk, VA. I applied for an assylum. Since many years there have been a lot of trouble, tension and persecution inside the country (Nepal). I myself was persecuted by Maoist group/leader as well as Hindu leader.

In this process, I think INS gonna call me for an interview. I am afraid of that what kind of question they may ask to me. Any Idea?

Govinda
Richmond
VA.

No Title

Thanks Jameel, if you filed in Nov. 98 you had to file at NSC not at CSC. So, your filing date is Nov 98. Good luck

It is better to use one

It is best to use a translator with some sort of official credentials. Though this is not an INS requirement.

Past persecution

They might ask you about your past persecution and they might ask something about your religion.