I need some advice

Jameel

Registered Users (C)
Hi everybody. I have not posted any messages to this forum for a while now although I regularly come here to check out what is happening in the asylee world.
Thank GOd, after a 1 year struggle, my wife is finally here in the US. She came on a J-1 visa which is valid for 6 months and which has a 2 year home residency condition. I know that most of the people on this form are very knowledgeable about the asylee issues. So I am asking for advice....how should I go about with getting an acceptable status for my wife in this country.
As far as my own case is concerned, I had applied for the green card in Dec-98 and am waiting like the rest of you on this board.

I would really appreciate some help here.

Thanks a lot,
Jameel

No Title

Hi Jameel,

Is your wife from the same country as you are? I think you mentioned before that she may not qualify to apply for derivitive asylee status because the marriage took place long after you were granted asylum.

I am not suggesting anything, but there have been cases where the spouses of asylees are unsafe to return to their home countries and they decided to apply for asylum based on that ground.

Also, there is a new bill introduced by some Senators that has better chance of becoming a law than the previously introduced Bills. If we are lucky that Bill will get enacted soon by the Congress and become a law and you will get your GC sooner.

No Title

Dear Jameel,

It is nice to hear from you again.

Asylum officers are generally very receptive to applications filed by the spouses of asylees (who are ineligible for derivative status because the marriages took place after the grant).

Consult an attorney who can assess the whole picture for you.

No Title

Yes Jack...my wife and I are from the same country. Do you guys think that it would be a good idea if I applied for asylum for my wife. How good are the chances of her application getting approved.
Thanks a lot for your advice.

Jameel

No Title

Hi Jameel,

Being an asylee yourself I think you know the nature of INS asylum assessment. No one can guarantee the result.
 Consult with a lawyer for all possible options.

No Title

Thank you so much Jack and Gilbert. People like you guys make this world a better place to live in.

No Title

Hi Jameel,

No problem. We wish we can do more for you. But the people who can really help us are the politicians in DC. Everyone in this forum are hoping that the Congress will pass S.1311 before December 2001.

What\'s important is that your wife is now in this country. You can search for immigration lawyers at http://www.ilw.com. Also look in your local business phone directory. Be smart when you\'re shopping around for a good lawyer.

Good Luck

sponsor case

Hi, I want to know that how long does it take for the sponsor case to get approved as a cook. To my understanding , it was 1 year for the green card , but its been 8 months and I havent rceived a work permit yet. What should be the expectations and process aand what is the outlook? Please, help me.
thank you