I need an advice!! asylum, citizenship, marriage...

Uchuva

I would really appreciate if somebody can give me some advice. I have political asylum and I applied for the GC 1 yr ago. I’m planning to get marry this year with somebody who came with student visa but who lost his legal status. I really love him and I do not want to stop my wedding and family plans because immigration issues.

My lawyer told me I have to wait for my citizenship in order to help him (around 5 years? It is ok!), but I have just reviewed the form I have to use to apply for the citizenship, and it asks about marital status and legal situation of your spouse. Could that information bring some problems to him or/and to my application? Could immigration say NO to my citizenship application because I have been married with somebody without legal status? Could they use that information to deport him and avoid I can request his GC when I get the citizenship?

Please help me!!!

Even though it may seem harsh, my best advice to you is don't marry this person. Help him/her in any other way you can but in my best sincere advise, I would suggest that you get someone else and with him/her. Good luck........and by the way you greencard is pending only one year and you reading citizenship application. You are very optimistic by all means. Good luck and I appoligize to you in advance if I may seem somewhat harsh. Good luck...

Uchuva said:
I would really appreciate if somebody can give me some advice. I have political asylum and I applied for the GC 1 yr ago. I’m planning to get marry this year with somebody who came with student visa but who lost his legal status. I really love him and I do not want to stop my wedding and family plans because immigration issues.

My lawyer told me I have to wait for my citizenship in order to help him (around 5 years? It is ok!), but I have just reviewed the form I have to use to apply for the citizenship, and it asks about marital status and legal situation of your spouse. Could that information bring some problems to him or/and to my application? Could immigration say NO to my citizenship application because I have been married with somebody without legal status? Could they use that information to deport him and avoid I can request his GC when I get the citizenship?

Please help me!!!

Your lawyer is right. And yes you have reveal who you are married to and their status. But let me tell you one thing, you are married in this country if you are LEGALLY joined in front of a court and in some cases marriage certificates from embassy's also count.

You can do 2 things, marry him culturally(church, mosque etc) and not get married in a court. Wait 5 years and then apply for citizenship.

Or you can get married and when you get your GC & apply for I-131(LPR spouse). The wait time for that is 5 years right now but mabye that will change. If you an application filed, maybe if the law changes(to 6 months since the application date), you can benefit.

As to USCIS not giving you citizenship. The only thing USCIS cares for is that YOU DID NOT HELP HIM ACHIEVE that status. In other words, you didn't help him become illegal or advised him to stay illegaly or smuggled him in this country etc. AS long as you attest to that, they have no issues.

As for Faysals advice. Maybe he has never been in love & doesn't know lot of people dont' want to marry someone just because "its easy for them".

Faysal, what if your wife gets in Jail tomorow and has to be deported? WILL YOU ABANDON HER???????????????????????????????????????

"GET SOMEONE ELSE" is the worst advice you can give to anyone else.

Wow...

"Get someone else"??? I saw a coupon in our local grocery store for "Buy one GET one free". :D ;) Their competitor have 50% off on all potential spouses ;) :rolleyes:

wantmygcnow said:
Your lawyer is right. And yes you have reveal who you are married to and their status. But let me tell you one thing, you are married in this country if you are LEGALLY joined in front of a court and in some cases marriage certificates from embassy's also count.

You can do 2 things, marry him culturally(church, mosque etc) and not get married in a court. Wait 5 years and then apply for citizenship.

Or you can get married and when you get your GC & apply for I-131(LPR spouse). The wait time for that is 5 years right now but mabye that will change. If you an application filed, maybe if the law changes(to 6 months since the application date), you can benefit.

As to USCIS not giving you citizenship. The only thing USCIS cares for is that YOU DID NOT HELP HIM ACHIEVE that status. In other words, you didn't help him become illegal or advised him to stay illegaly or smuggled him in this country etc. AS long as you attest to that, they have no issues.

As for Faysals advice. Maybe he has never been in love & doesn't know lot of people dont' want to marry someone just because "its easy for them".

Faysal, what if your wife gets in Jail tomorow and has to be deported? WILL YOU ABANDON HER???????????????????????????????????????

"GET SOMEONE ELSE" is the worst advice you can give to anyone else.

I knew my advice would cause some surprises, but that was my sincere advice. And if you look at this person's posting; He/she is not yet married, has greencard application pending for one year...Would you advice him/her to head and marry someone illegal. If everything goes well and he/she goes ahead with the marriage he/she must deal with an illegal person for the cominng 10+years.....that is long commitment....I have seen people who did it and they regret...and after all what about if the illegal becomes legal after some years and he/she changes and goes ahead with divorce....Any way that is my opinion...and my experience shows it is not good...sometimes the harshest advise may be the best course of action...and love sometimes can be overcome...

faysal said:
I knew my advice would cause some surprises, but that was my sincere advice. And if you look at this person's posting; He/she is not yet married, has greencard application pending for one year...Would you advice him/her to head and marry someone illegal. If everything goes well and he/she goes ahead with the marriage he/she must deal with an illegal person for the cominng 10+years.....that is long commitment....I have seen people who did it and they regret...and after all what about if the illegal becomes legal after some years and he/she changes and goes ahead with divorce....Any way that is my opinion...and my experience shows it is not good...sometimes the harshest advise may be the best course of action...and love sometimes can be overcome...

She asked for Immigration related advice. She didnt' ask for PERSONAL opinion about her marriage to an illegal or future commitments.

wantmygcnow said:
She asked for Immigration related advice. She didnt' ask for PERSONAL opinion about her marriage to an illegal or future commitments.

Have you read the post clearly? My understanding is that the person does not have even greencard, and you telling her/him about how to navigate the citizenship application.....This person needs to get greencard application approved, and wait for four years to file for citizenship. For example, the person is seeking advise on whether if she/he puts her/his love's name on the citizenship application, would that a problem? When would this happen if this person has only I-94 at this stage...........................................................I don't really see immigration issue here...It is premature...way way too early

faysal said:
Have you read the post clearly? My understanding is that the person does not have even greencard, and you telling her/him about how to navigate the citizenship application.....This person needs to get greencard application approved, and wait for four years to file for citizenship. For example, the person is seeking advise on whether if she/he puts her/his love's name on the citizenship application, would that a problem? When would this happen if this person has only I-94 at this stage...........................................................I don't really see immigration issue here...It is premature...way way too early

As long as she didnt help him become illegal, nothing will happen for citizenship application.

You are judged based on your action..NOT as to what her husband did..Even if she put in her application that she has an illegal spouse....it will not make a difference UNLESS she helped him break a law.