I forgot I have a different name on passport

peelua

Registered Users (C)
Hello,

I just mailed my N-400, and realized that I forgot to mention "other names you used" - it is on my passport - there is no middle names in my country, so they put my middle name (which is my maiden name) and my last name together (hyphenated), so they are still the same 3 names, like instead of "Jane Smith Jones" it is "Jane Smith-Jones".
What (if anything) should I do now?

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

peelua

You can correct it during the interview, but they will not be able to approve you right after the interview because any other names not already mentioned on the N-400 will need to have a name check done after the interview. That could result in a delay of several months.

So you should try to get that other name in there long before the interview so the complete FBI name check can be done up front. I'm not sure how you would do that, though.

Thank you, del0175 and Jackolantern!

It is almost funny how we all review our applications many times, and then still make mistakes like this...

Wish everybody luck!

peelua

You can correct it during the interview, but they will not be able to approve you right after the interview because any other names not already mentioned on the N-400 will need to have a name check done after the interview. That could result in a delay of several months.

So you should try to get that other name in there long before the interview so the complete FBI name check can be done up front. I'm not sure how you would do that, though.

Does this also apply when the first name and last name are reversed in the passport? Per my understanding the name check goes through all permutations of the name and so should be running the last name and first name permutation. Correcting this at interview time - would that create a further delay?

AP

Does this also apply when the first name and last name are reversed in the passport? Per my understanding the name check goes through all permutations of the name and so should be running the last name and first name permutation. Correcting this at interview time - would that create a further delay?

AP

I think they also make some changes to the spelling of the last name and first name while doing the name check.
I am wondering if someone really has experienced delays after the interview because of corrections of "other" names or is it just an assumption that this can happen?

Yes, the FBI does switch around the ordering of names in all permutations, and they also use variations of the spelling (e.g. Mark/Marc/Marck, Gonzales/Gonzalez etc.). However, USCIS probably will request another name check anyway, because from their perspective, they're seeing a different name from the applicant and don't want to get into the details of how FBI manipulated the ordering and spellings. Somehow I don't think the FBI gives back USCIS a list of all orderings and spellings that were searched for each applicant.

Yes, the FBI does switch around the ordering of names in all permutations, and they also use variations of the spelling (e.g. Mark/Marc/Marck, Gonzales/Gonzalez etc.). However, USCIS probably will request another name check anyway, because from their perspective, they're seeing a different name from the applicant and don't want to get into the details of how FBI manipulated the ordering and spellings. Somehow I don't think the FBI gives back USCIS a list of all orderings and spellings that were searched for each applicant.

It is not a "different" name - same spelling but just changed oreder.

I have it corrected in the new passport (there was a mistake in the old passport). So the name I use in the US in all docs (GC, DL, SS etc.) is now consistent with the one in the new passport.

I have already been in the NC queue for about 20 months now and God knows how much longer. It worries me that will push me back for another 20 months after the interview, should they ask for name check again.

AP

It is not a "different" name - same spelling but just changed oreder.
From USCIS perspective, a nickel is different from 5 pennies. Don't expect them to have the intelligence to realize that the FBI already searched for all possible orderings. You just have to hope that the FBI will reply quickly to USCIS, saying that they have already done the name check including the alternate order. Or as mentioned before, provide the name with the modified ordering before the interview, and preferably before they have requested the first name check.

Last edited by a moderator:
From USCIS perspective, a nickel is different from 5 pennies. Don't expect them to have the intelligence to realize that the FBI already searched for all possible orderings. You just have to hope that the FBI will reply quickly to USCIS, saying that they have already done the name check including the alternate order. Or as mentioned before, provide the name with the modified ordering before the interview, and preferably before they have requested the first name check.

Well, as I mentioned I have been in the NC pipeline already for 20 months. So providing the 'changed order' before the first name check is not an option.

Providing it now may further delay the NC since the USCIS may initiate an entirely new NC for me delaying me by a further 20 months - who knows. This sucks.

AP

Well, as I mentioned I have been in the NC pipeline already for 20 months. So providing the 'changed order' before the first name check is not an option.

Providing it now may further delay the NC since the USCIS may initiate an entirely new NC for me delaying me by a further 20 months - who knows. This sucks.

AP

Also I should clarify:

The reversed order name was in one of the previous passports. I have since corrected it and my new passport carries the correct order of names. So I'm not really sure what the best aproach is.

AP