I don't trust my lawyer

childofthebush

Registered Users (C)
I am a US citizen and married a Mexican citizen who was already going through the I-140 immigration process. He started the process at the beginning of 2001 with a lawyer who I neither like nor trust. I didn't want to rock the boat and cause trouble though, so I let the lawyer do all the I-130/I-485/I-864... paperwork. The paperwork all got sent in on July 27, right before the rates went up. I found out on Weds, August 15, that my checks have cleared. I called the lawyer to ask about a receipt/case number from the USCIS and they said they hadn't gotten it yet. I just don't trust that I'm not getting the run around.

What is the experience other people have had with lawyers? The lawyer tells me that I should expect it to take a year to get the AOS, but that is definitely not what I'm seeing on this forum.

I also wanted to know if the notice for fingerprinting will get sent to my address or the lawyer's address?

Thank you in advance.

Both you and the lawyer will get and should have gotten receipts.

However, because of so many people filing to meet the July 30 dead line, USCIS is a little backed up. There is a lot of July Filers that have not received a receipt yet. You can check this thread for info: http://www.immigrationportal.com/showthread.php?t=260712

As far as not trusting the lawyer, why don't you? you are supposed to be able to trust in him otherwise you better find a new one. :rolleyes:

Go to your online banking system , get digital copies of the back of the checks and zoom it in. The back of your check will have a LONG number, in my case was something like SRC.... but I am employment based. That is your case number; with those numbers you can open a portfolio in the uscis website and check out the status of your case, the system even sent you an email when the status of your case changes (you can set up your email account to send a instant message to your cellphone or blackberry as well)

If your lawyer takes both family and employment cases they are overwhelmed right now because of all the employment cases they received until august 17th. So I understand your frustration and even thogh my lawyer is excellent they do not have the time/ resources to check out my case. I have to do it myself.
Let me know if I was able to help. Feel free to PM if you consider it necessary
Best Wishes.

Go to your online banking system , get digital copies of the back of the checks and zoom it in. The back of your check will have a LONG number, in my case was something like SRC.... but I am employment based. That is your case number; with those numbers you can open a portfolio in the uscis website and check out the status of your case, the system even sent you an email when the status of your case changes (you can set up your email account to send a instant message to your cellphone or blackberry as well)

If your lawyer takes both family and employment cases they are overwhelmed right now because of all the employment cases they received until august 17th. So I understand your frustration and even thogh my lawyer is excellent they do not have the time/ resources to check out my case. I have to do it myself.
Let me know if I was able to help. Feel free to PM if you consider it necessary
Best Wishes.

Tech,

I discovered that the numbers at the back of the checks are not always the receipt numbers. Sometimes the numbers may be off by one or two digits.

hello,
I am a july filler here, and your lawyer is right. Some of us filed back on the 18th with 20th as received date, but no receipt yet. They are really backlogged due to lots of july fillers to beat the fee increase.
Usually both you and your lawyer gets a receipt when its mailed. So I wou;d say wait patiently.
I even called the USCIS and they gave me the receipt numbers on the phone, but they cases are not loaded online yet.

About your lawyer, I'll say.man you haven to try to trust him, because he/she can either help make your case with immigration or they can be lazy and don't follow up with immigration, and ruin your case.