I-94 Requirement for CP?

qfgc

Registered Users (C)
Hi Everyone,

My lawyer says that I need to carry copies of all I-94s to prove that I have been in status for my duration of stay in US. The problem is I never made copies of any of my I-94s.

What is your opinion?

qfgc

Originally posted by qfgc
Hi Everyone,

My lawyer says that I need to carry copies of all I-94s to prove that I have been in status for my duration of stay in US. The problem is I never made copies of any of my I-94s.

What is your opinion?

qfgc

If you don't have copies of I-94s, it is OK. If you have the original or copies of the 'Notice of approvals' , carry them.

Even they are not really asked for at the time of interview.

Raju

There are two places where you will find I-94s. One in the passport and other on the H1-B approval. You can to carry the H1-B approval notice. The lower part of the approval notice contains the new I-94 card.

You don't need the I-94 card on the passport.

His issue is that he does not have photocopies of the old I94's .

If you had filed any H1 extension or something like that, your courtsey copy from the lawyer should have a copy. Or your attorney should have a copy of the same.

To clarify this a little bit.......

There are two types of 'Notice of Approval' that are issued on
approval of H1B Visa.

1) An approval notice which requires a consular approval (meaning you have to approach a US consulate for the Visa Stamp, subsequent to which you get the I-94 when you enter
the US ).

2) The second type is the approval you get which comes with
a perforated bottom portion containing I-94 stub and a copy
for your records.

You are required to hand over the I-94 stub to the airline rep. at
a US airport before you exit US. You will get a new one once you
come back again based on the approval you have with you.

Only way you will have the original I-94 with you is:

You have a I-94 stub stapled in your passport, then you got
a new approval with a NEW I-94. In this case you would take
out the old I-94 and staple the new I-94 to the passport.

As long as you carry original OR copies of the notice of approvals
it is OK. They will not ask for I-94s. As I said above, in my case
even though I carried the notice of approvals , they did not ask
for them.

The reason I said copies above is, the employer is not obliged to
give you the original notice of approval (if approved in US and
containing the I-94). He is required to give only the bottom
portion (the I-94).

Raju

I guess, we are suppoesed to hand-over the I-94 at the port of exit (Usually at the Airline counter). There fore it is impossible to have all the I-94s. However, there will be a passport stamp showing the validity of Stay for every ENTRY in to the US. Also the right hand half of the I94 that comes with the H-1 approval(with extension of stay) also can be produced.

Still It may not be feasible to have all the I-94s(Arrival -Departure Cards). As its name implies, it is a piece of document one has to receive from INS at the arrival( at the POE) and return while departing from the US (At the Airline counter). This document is used to keep track of the stay of a non-immigrant visitor in the US.