I-94 Name Issue FNU

rpbang

Registered Users (C)
Hi All,
I am travelling to US next month. My first name in the VISA(b1) is written as "FNU". What excatly shall I enter my first name as in I-94 ?

Can I enter "FNU" as my first name ?

Has anybody got any experience in this area?

Pls guide ?

REgards,
rp.

rpbang said:
Hi All,
I am travelling to US next month. My first name in the VISA(b1) is written as "FNU". What excatly shall I enter my first name as in I-94 ?

Can I enter "FNU" as my first name ?

Has anybody got any experience in this area?

Pls guide ?

REgards,
rp.
Is ur first name "FNU"? If yes, then put that. If not, the get the visa corrected.

P.S. I am not a lawyer and dont pretend to be one. Info to be used at ur own risk.

Hi,
Thank you for the reply. Yes my first name in Visa is "FNU". My fullname is written in the surname section.

So in I-94 I can enter FNU as first name , right ?

I believe the only problem it creates is when you apply for the DL in US, which anyway I am not going to do.

Regards,
Rohit

FNU stands for first name unknown. This is an indication that either the applicant had only one name (the last name) or the person processing the application could not parse the name into its individual components.

Answer Please

Thank you replying but can you reply to the following query

My query was "Can I enter FNU as my first name when Iam filling the I-94 form?"

Yes, in my VISA it is FNU as the first name but is it a RULE to enter this as my first name in I-94 also ?

Hope I am making myself clear.

Thank you
RP.

You have to go an make the correction and give them the right first name, family name and middle name if any, if you give an a I-94 form the FNU as a first name you will have problems afterwards with yours documents in US

I would approach the consulate first. If that is not feasible, I would ask the immigration official at the port of entry for advice on how to enter your name.

If you want to play it safe, you can complete two I-94 forms. Leave the name fields empty in one. In the other, if you do have distinct first and last names, enter them in the appropriate places in the I-94 form; if in fact you have just one name, enter it as your last name and leave the first name field blank.

Hi Forvisas,
Thank you for the reply. In fact my trip is just for around 4-6 weeks on B1 therefore, I don't think I am going to get involved in any kind of paperwork out there (SSN,DL etc).

Regds,
RP.

Hi CRS,
Thank you. I think I will do this : Will enter my full name in the last name column (it is like this in the passport and visa also) and leave the first name blank OR write FNU...I think..

Since I am travelling on B1, I guess it does not matter much really.

Thak you once more
RP.

See the US consulate has ur first name as FNU because in Indian passport they do not clearly differentiate between first name and last name and because of this and the consulate to be on safer side they put first name as FNU, the US consulate members are confused with first name last name funda when compared to Indian way of writing the name Last name first name funda. I had the same issue and I asked the consulate who stamped the visa and they said its the Indian passport the way the name is mentioned.
SO while completing your I 94 you write down your real first name instead of FNU and it works fine because I have completed 2 I-94 since the visa was stamped and I had no issue at all at the port of entry.

SO in short,
First name : Is your real name( Ram/Shyam, Geeta/Seeta)
Last name: Reddy, etc.