I-864 Affidavit of Support

sisigsarap

Hi!
My name is Joshua, I am the husband of a Philippina.

I have a question that I am hoping someone here can help with regarding the I-864 or Affidavit of Support form.

Currently I am a college student and do not work. I live with my family. Our household size is 5 counting my wife.

Now I have no income, but my familys(mother/father) business far exceeds the required 125% income level.

Since they are considered part of the household(I believe) do I just have them fill out an I-864 form, or do they have to joint-sponsor with me?

I cant seem to find a great deal of information on filling this form out, if anyone could help it would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you,
Joshua

You will have to be the sponsor and then as long they make over that amount they can be the NEW joint sponsors ......you can have as many joint sponsors as you wish providing their salary is enough.
Do a search in google.com and type in : Affidavit of Support form
You should get alot of subjects concerning that form......Alot of reading so be prepared.......
Good Luck.

I am in the process of sponsoring a fiancee from russia since last year ,I have sent all the necessary documents including affidavit of support ,
I have some real estate income and I am getting $14,000. a year from ssi
My total income for last year was $26,000. the consulate in moscow said that they cannot issue the visa to my fiancee because of the $14,000 i get from the ssi This money I have earned, I worked in this country since 1968
until I became disabled a few years ago.
In your case you will have to make an affidavit of support on your own and
then have your parents do one as a second sponsor and the document must
show that they have enough income to support all those who are on their income tax.
If you can do that you will not have any problem to bring your wife over.
You can always make a call to the Immigration and they will tell you what is best in your case,
Good luck.

I had the same issue. You have to file I-864 + I-864 A

Since you form household, your parents dont need to be classified as "joint sponsors" and fill separetely I-864. Instead you have to sign with each member of the household I-864A, which is "Contract between sponsor and household member".
To make them Joint sponsors will involve more.
I had the same issue when I filed I-485. We didnt know whether to classify his mum as a joint sponsor.From the National Service Center told me that he can sum his income with his mom's and that there's no need fo his mom to fill as a joint sponsor. The main reason is that you form a household.
So read I-864 A instructions and the required documents" You'll have to file
1I-864 +
2/I-864 A " Contract between household member and sponsor"
I guess you are confused because the above advise you for a "joint sponsor". You choose though. That was what I was told by NSC and that's what I did.

See I have another issue how to change the info on my I-864 but seems that nobody has an answer.
Oki good luck. Ask me if you cant figure it out for detailed explanation. Everything is written in the instruction though

Last edited by a moderator:
Add:

I am sorry I forgot smth. It says that even if you don't have any income you still have to fill I - 864. + you parents' I-864 A s.