I-824 & GC process.

I got married before my I-485 was approved. Before I could bring my wife into US using H4 my I-485 got approved and now I have my GC. My wife is still in India. My lawyer told me that I have to submit I-824 (application for action on an approved application or petition) for my wife, which i applied and got approved; receipt date and notice date of I-824 are as follows:

receipt date: august 7th 2002
notice date: september 10th 2002
priority date: april 3rd 2000

I would greatly appreciate if PLEASE anyone can answer the following questions:

1. What is the next step?
2. How much more of paperwork is still exists?
3. How long does it take for the notification (I-824 approval) to reach the chennai consulate about that the appicant's status has been adjusted to that of a lawful permanent resident? My lawyer tells me that it is going to take atleast another 2-3 months, is that true?

Thanks in advance.

Visit this site http://madras.sphynx.com and send an email asking them what to do. They are prompt to reply. I think, you can download the Packet 3 from that site and send it to the chennai consulate along with proper documents.

Did you actually get the approval for I-824 or just receipt notice?
If it is approval notice, then you got it in record time......

My friend is also in your position and he is going to apply for I-824. Could you please give me the document details that you attached with I-824 application? Did you include wife details, marriage certificate, etc...?

Thanks in advance.........

Thank u

thank u for responding. I will e-mail the madras consulate asking them what i should do.

Yes, I-824 was approved on september 10th 2002

My lawyer submitted the paperwork. I gave him following documents/information.

1. marriage certificate
2. birth certificate.
3. india home address.
4. wife's name

I guess that's it.

Actually i did get mine approved in record time. Trick is, if you call INS and tell them that it is urgent they will process your paperwork faster. if you want more information drop me an e-mail at pdiwakar@hotmail.com. Thank you.

Last edited by a moderator:
Call the INS and confirm with them whether they already sent the cable to chennai about your I-824 approval. If not, ask them to send it soon. It is usually the consulate sends the packet 3 to the spouse(local address) after they receive the cable from INS. In the meantime, prepare the I-864 document and send it to your wife. It is a complex forem and requires more supporting documents.

Where did you call to speed up the I-824 process? Vermont service center or National service center in Nashua?

Thanks for your information.