I-751 at VSC: Is this delay unreasonable?

moon

Registered Users (C)
I got my conditional green card through marriage in July 2001. In May 2003, my husband and I filed the petition to remove the condition (I-751) at Vermont Service Center. The check was cashed and there was a case number written on that check. However, we never received any receipt from the VSC. I called the BIS national line, and the IIO said that I should send a formal written inquiry to VSC with a copy of the check. I did so in July 2003, and the post office had delivered the mail. But to this date, I still have not heard anything from VSC. My greencard has been expired for 2 months now, and I don't have the receipt to extend it for one more year. The IIO told me that I'm not out of status, but I do need that receipt. My question is: can I travel out of the country and will I have trouble re-entering? What should I do next? Should I hire a lawyer and will that help? Thank you for any help.

What u need to do is take the cancelled check and expired green card, your passport and go to your local INS office. They will check you application and put an I-551 stamp (expiring in one-year) on your passport. With this you can travel outside the country.

There is no need to hire a lawyer - such delays are be experienced by everyone...myself included. The lawyer wont be able to do anything......we just gotta wait.