I-551 Stamping Q

patient_gc

Registered Users (C)
How long can a person delay in getting their passport stamped after getting 485 approval ??
My wife got approved on Dec 13 2004. She went out of the country on Dev 4th and will be back only in April 2005.
The approval notice does not mention an "expiration date".
Thanks for your help.

patient_gc said:
How long can a person delay in getting their passport stamped after getting 485 approval ??
My wife got approved on Dec 13 2004. She went out of the country on Dev 4th and will be back only in April 2005.
The approval notice does not mention an "expiration date".
Thanks for your help.

From what my lawyer tells me is that you shouldn't delay getting the I-551 stamp, they do all the background checks etc and I-551 is a logical conclusion to that, besides the officer orders the physical cards at that time, so you are taking a risk in delaying the actual cards. April' 05 is way far, ask her to come back, get the stamp and go back. It's worth it!!

patient_gc, sorry for asking my question to you, could you please tell me about taking the appointment for stamping? and also are there any center specific or same one which we had done our FP1?

well to my knowledge for your option, do it ASAP, or talk to your lawyer, I dont think it will be a big deal, bcoz you being primary, there should not any problem if your wife gets the stamping after she comes back in april.

related question

On a related note, what are the documents (EAD/AP etc) needed for 551 stamping?

Is it pretty straight forward or will there be questions on pay stubs, proof of employment etc?

Thanks

kannav32 said:
On a related note, what are the documents (EAD/AP etc) needed for 551 stamping?

Is it pretty straight forward or will there be questions on pay stubs, proof of employment etc?

Thanks

You will need your approval notice, your passport with the I-94, and 2 passport size photographs.
Take your EAD and AP also for stamping. Though it is not mentioned in the approval notice that you must carry them, the officer might ask you for it.
Some officers dont ask for EAD and AP, whereas some do. In my case, the officer asked for them.
AFAIK, there will not be any questions on pay stubs, proof of employment etc.

rsannu2k said:
patient_gc, sorry for asking my question to you, could you please tell me about taking the appointment for stamping? and also are there any center specific or same one which we had done our FP1?

i used the infopass web-site to take my appointment.
http://infopass.uscis.gov/info_en.php

it was not in the same place as i did my fingerprint. in fact my gc was processed in vermont and i did the fp and passport stamping in california.

i took my ead, AP, the original approval notice, copy of infopass appointment letter, two passport photos and my passport. the office asked for all these documents . returned only my passport with the i-551 stamp.

thanks all for your feedback to my question..will talk to my lawyer and post her comments as well.

You will need your approval notice, your passport with the I-94, and 2 passport size photographs.

Thanks, tekworker! Ours is a future employment GC. My 485 was approved on 13th of Dec and by coincidence, the same day I started work at a client on my sponsoring employer's H-1B. Due to this, I don't have any pay stubs from my sponsoring employer yet. But, I can get a letter from them if needed stating that I started working from them on 13th.

I wanted to be a bit cautious and just wanted to make sure that stamping is done solely based on approval and there is no more checks done at that time regarding employment status and such other things. Guys who went for stamping recently, please advise and post your stamping experience.

Thanks!

kannav32 said:
Thanks, tekworker! Ours is a future employment GC. My 485 was approved on 13th of Dec and by coincidence, the same day I started work at a client on my sponsoring employer's H-1B. Due to this, I don't have any pay stubs from my sponsoring employer yet. But, I can get a letter from them if needed stating that I started working from them on 13th.

I wanted to be a bit cautious and just wanted to make sure that stamping is done solely based on approval and there is no more checks done at that time regarding employment status and such other things. Guys who went for stamping recently, please advise and post your stamping experience.

Thanks!

kannav, I had posted about my stamping experience. You can view it at the URL below.

http://www.immigrationportal.com/showthread.php?t=155907

Hey joyd.,

Here i got few questions, please give advise.

Me & my wife got approval emails yesterday (12/22/04).
Kids LUD changed on 12/22/04 --> statu message saying
"The status for this Receipt Number cannot be found at this time in this automated system." on both 9 & 5 old kids.

1) how to get the kids status
2) For PP stamping in Albany in NY state , can need 4 Infopass appointments.
3) how to get the Infopass appointments.

In this case i would appreciate

thanks.,
usinsuser99