I-551 stamp, and secondary inspection

DaoMingTze2

Registered Users (C)
Do we really have to go through secondary inspection everytime we cross the border with only I-551 stamp?

I just travelled aborad for a 3 day business affair, and had to go through secondary inspection at Newark, NJ. Even though no questions were asked, (they only punched in stuff to computers and sent me away unscratched), the 2 hour wait was interesting and nervewrecking. Especially that secondary inspection waiting room looks kinda scary. For example someone had problem, and wanted to call a lawyer, and officers didn't let her come close to a phone and there was a yelling match between them. I anticipate to travel quite a bit and findiIt might be an inconvenience in the future, especially if I have connecting flights, etc.

Thats Strange

I re-entered with the stamp only two days ago ( at Dallas Fort Worth ).
I still lined up in the foreign national line ( for once this line was shorter than the citizen line ) he asked me when my PR was approved , stamped a entered on date on the page next to the I-551 stamp and let me pass.

There must be some otther reason they singled you out. Sorry to hear about your experience.

Can't Permanent Residents go line up in the citizens line when entering the
U.S.? I read in another forum (I485 adjustment) that PRs go to citizens line
and not foreign national line.

Feedback appreciated.

The other thing is that the I551 stamp on the passport is the same as the
green card, you should not need to be sent to secondary inspections...?

Phoenix Saint.

I actually didn't know which line to go to, you may be right.
He certainly didn't turn me away from the foriegn national line.
Also , He didn't bother doing the photo and finger print thing - though I did that a couple of months ago when I entered ( when still on H1B )

I went through the line marked "US citizens/ Permanent residents". The officer in the secondary inspection area did nothing to me. He only typed several things in the computer and let me go, no questions asked, no photographing no fingerprinting, no nothing! The worst part was waiting for my turn and watching others getting grilled.

For example someone had serious problem, and wanted to call a lawyer, but the officer did not let him. It became a yelling match that could be heard in the whole room!!!

I did more research and found that the practice of sending people with only stamps is not consistent. SOme POE's send everyone with stamp to secondary inspection, while some others don't. What do you expect? It's USCIS!

Poe

I entered in "US citizens/PR" line. However, when they checked me, they sent me to a seperate room at back. Then they searched the computer and let me go. No questions. I am not sure if this is the SECONDARY INSPECTION as someone mentioned. - please clarify.

I had a the same issue, entered US via San Juan.
Sent to secondary, took 20 mins are so, officer asked my ss#, home address and then stamped my passport.

My understanding is this is pretty normal if you have the stamp in your passport.

I had a similar experience. I entered the US with I-551 stamp on May 16 via SanFrancisco. They sent me and my family to the secondary inspection room. There were no questions asked, but we had to wait for about 10/15 mins while they checked things out. After that, they made me go through an extensive lauggage search (almost missed my connecting flight) where they asked me for driver's license, ssn#, business cards etc. and seemed to make phone calls to god knows whom. Anyway, at the end they let us go without any trouble!

wittAAAA said:
I think the stamp is easy to fake. That's why many experienced 2nd inspections.
Stamp is not easy to fake, it is printed with a special flouroscent ink not readily available to general public. It glows under UV light.

Folks

Since receiving the I-551 stamp on my passport on 1 April 2004 I have travelled every week between USA and Canada through Pearson Airport, Toronto. I have never had a problem. Ths US officer will enter my A number into the computer, see the details and let me through. After I received my plastic card the process has not changed. Except that now the officer does not bother to enter the A number on the computer. He just scans the plastic card, asks the usual questions and lets me through.

By the way, since getting the I-551 stamp, I have always been using the seperate line for "US Citizens and Permanent Residents" at Pearson airport. This line is much shorter, and I have had no problems using it, even without the plastic card.

Prithis

Again, After talking with several people, I found that the procedure for travelling with I-551 stamp is not consistent between all port of entries. Some will chcek the stamp at primary inspection, some will send us to secondary inspection, some randomly do either, some are clueless.

Surprised???

stamp

Prithis,

Is there any problem for you to travel to Canada? Are you Canada resident or just US resident?

Thanks

i551 and secondary inspection on POE

it is standard procedure for a permanent resident to be sent for secondary inspection at a port of entry (in the back room where they punch numbers into the computer and/or make phone calls) if the permanent resident is sporting *only* an i551 stamp in their passport, and have not actually received their plastic green card.

having said that, though, different POEs have their own variations on the theme. for example, i returned from a business trip from europe last week via the detroit airport. i stood in the american citizen/p.r. passport control line, and all i had was an i551 stamp. and not only that, that stamp was not even in my passport: it was affixed on a scrap of loose paper (actually a blank i94 card was used for this purpose) which i simply passed to the officer with my passport (which incidentally reads "islamic republic of pakistan"). the officer took all of 30 seconds to look everything over, then put an entry stamp in my passport, and waived me through with a cheery "welcome home!" no secondary inspection.

the "welcome home" felt good.

I think the computer system at US CITIZEN LINE does not have many access to USCIS's database. So, they send I-551 stamp holder to 2nd inspection room to verify the I-551 stamp and A# by a 'better computer'. If that is the case, it can explain why no question asked at 2nd inspection.

I heard some I-551 stamp holder at FOREIGNER LINE without 2nd inspection. May be FOREIGNER LINE has a better computer database access?

Anyway, above is my guessing only. Correct me if I am wrong.

I travel to Austral-Asia every month...

I travel to asia every month on business and every time i enter I am asked to go to secondary inspection. I was on H1 there were no issues. When I got my advance parole I was asked to sit in the secondary inspeaction room. In SFO I had to wait for 35 mins, Dallas for 45 mins and SFO for 40 mins. Chicago officer checked me out at the point of entry without secondary inspection. I dont see any change with I 551 stamp. Unless I use my card. In anycase thats life...... pl share your experiences/.

This is pretty standard. I have had this issue everytime I have travelled with the stamp. Very annoying and nerve wracking.

Once you get the get the card and use it, it is a breeze.

Could you explain what an I-551 stamp is?

If its hard passing immigration for me as a US citizen, it must be a real bitch for all you visitors and residents. I keep getting singled out for inspection and asked very personal questions. Im wondering where they can draw the line with quesitons. Can they ask how much money I make? Can they ask for my medical history? Can they ask my sexual preference? There must be a limit to what they can ask.
Please read my Thread: "Questions asked of US citizens returning from abroad"