I-485 or follow-to join, pros and cons

pleasehelp1

Registered Users (C)
Can somebody illustrate prons and cons of I-485 or follow-to join ?

My I-485 has been pending in TSC for 9 mths.

I will be getting married soon. My girlfriend is in US and on Practical Training (after F1) and her staus expires in August 02.

If she files an I-485 to TSC as my wife, it will take at least 2 years for her to get the GC.

If she files I-824 (follow to join ) to go for CP, will she get it faster...? How faster will it be ?

And, very important, i don't understand how follow to join works, if she files now, her I-824 may get processed before my I-485. What would happen if that happens ? Do we have to "time" it so that it gets processed after my I-485 gets approved (maybe we file it when i get called for fingerprints) ?

Hello! I am going through the Follow-to-Join process, in order for my wife to join me in the USA. FTJ works if you were married before your I-485 was approved. Otherwise you are ineligible for this process.

Since you are to be married to somebody who is already in the USA, in my non-legal opinion, it might make more sense to apply for an I-485 right away for her (as soon as you get married). While her I-485 is being processed, she can get an EAD card, and legally work in the USA. Also, some of my friends, who had applied for an I-485, and then got married, and then applied for I-485 for their wife, got their I-485 (the principal applicant, and the spouse, both) approved on the same day.

carguy