I-485 Interview Notice - from NSC to Philly Local Office

miguelerik

Registered Users (C)
I-485 Interview Notice - from NSC to Philly Local Office HELP!!!

Hi folks, I was wondering if there's anyone out there that have the same case as I have. I was employed by a company in denver in 2000. They filed for my labor cert and it got approved. They then filed I140 petition for me but got laid off before my petition got approved. Company issues RFE document letter stating that they will continue to sponsor my petition and have intentions of hiring me back as soon as I get my GC. INS approved my case but they denied one of my colleague's application (we have the same case...so it's kind of weird). I then applied for adjustment of status I485. Got a letter asking me to get my fingerprint done. After a year, I had to go back again to re-take my fingerprint (because my first one was old). Oct of 2004, INS sent my application to Philly office for faster processing. I sent an inquiry about my case because Philly office is already processing Sept of 2003 and my receipt date is Sept 2002. Last week, I received a letter from Philly office for an Interview in march.

My question is, I am now working for a different employer but i'm still in the same line of work. Do I need to ask my old employer to draft a letter for me saying that they have intention of hiring me once I get my greencard or should I get a letter from my current company stating my salary, job description etc. My lawyer said that my case is already portable because it's been past 180 days and they have not approved my 485 yet. Are there any case out there that got denied because they are not working for the same company anymore? Any information is greatly appreciated. Thank you so much!

miguelerik

Last edited by a moderator:
If your previous company can provide you with a letter saying that they will hire you after your GC is approved, then I would go that route.

The I-140 is technically for a future job offer, so there would be no extra questions to ask. If you have to claim AC-21, then other questions may arise. Also, don't you have to notify the USCIS ahead of time if you choose to claim AC-21 benefits?

Why gamble? Get a letter from the previous employer.

TD Details

I-140-RD 01-07-2002
I-140-RFE 03-22-2002
I-140-AD 05-09-2002
I-485-RD 09-03-2002
I 485 -ND 09-18-2002
First fp 11-06-2002
Second fp 08-21-2004
TD to Philly:10-14-2004
First Inquiry on I485 status - 12-27-2005
Second Inquiry on I485 status - 02-01-2005
Interview Notice for I485 - 02-08-2005
Interview Date for I485 - 03-18-05
Approval Date: hopefully same day

Hope this helps. Suryapet, Are you still working for your current employer who petitioned you?

Reply to Cfiler

If your previous company can provide you with a letter saying that they will hire you after your GC is approved, then I would go that route.

Response: Before the approval of my I140, they asked for RFE. Company sent a letter saying that they will hire me after I get my GC. I140 got approved after a month. I have a co-worker who was petitioned by the same company at the same time, his got denied (I don't know why).

The I-140 is technically for a future job offer, so there would be no extra questions to ask. If you have to claim AC-21, then other questions may arise. Also, don't you have to notify the USCIS ahead of time if you choose to claim AC-21 benefits?

Reply: Yeah my understanding about I140 is it's technically for a future job offer. This is the stage of the application where portability is attached isn't it? My understandin of AC-21 benefits is that, you can switch employers after 180 days and you don't need to re-apply for Adjustment of Status. Since i got laid off, I believe my lawyer applied for AC-21 (I will have to check). I was not working for my old company even after my I140 got approved. That's why I am a little worried and that because of getting laid off, it might pose issues with the approval of my I485.

Do you know what's the percentage of denial for applications that were sent to Local offices? My lawyer had the same case through another client. His client took both letters from his old company and the current company that he's working with. His application got approved in 10 mins. No questions asked or anything. I was hoping that I'll get the same response from the INS office but who knows.

Do you know any of your friends that have the same case as I have and they got approved?

In any case, I will post an update to my case as soon as I have one.

Why gamble? Get a letter from the previous employer.

Reply: I know. I don't want to gamble. I spoke with my lawyer and he said that my case is pretty straight forward. I might bring him to my interview....another freakin 850 bucks.

Thanks for the reply guys and hope to hear from you all!

I485 Approved!!!! Yey!

I got my I485 approved last friday. Got my fingerprint and passport stamped. I will have to wait for the actual card in the mail...hopefully, I'll get it before my planned vacation.

I-140-RD 01-07-2002
I-140-RFE 03-22-2002
I-140-AD 05-09-2002
I-485-RD 09-03-2002
I 485 -ND 09-18-2002
First fp 11-06-2002
Second fp 08-21-2004
TD to Philly:10-14-2004
First Inquiry on I485 status - 12-27-2005
Second Inquiry on I485 status - 02-01-2005
Interview Notice for I485 - 02-08-2005
Interview Date for I485 - 03-18-05
Approval Date: 03-18-05

Interview Experience

All in all, my interview went well. It took almost 30 mins from start to end. The good thing about having interviews with local offices is that, most interviews in local offices are based on marriage. They aren't as tough with cases that are based on employment. When the officer called my name, he's like, are you alone? I'm like, yes officer, I am.

He asked me to raise my right hand to take an oath and I did. Then I sat down and he asked me for my passport and drivers license (to ID me). He asked me to sign a form since I don't have my lawyer there at that time.

Here are some of the questions he asked:

1. How did you get to the US?
2. Who were your employers since you came to the US?
3. Do you have any documents that will prove you live in our jurisdiction? (I showed my social security statement and landlord lease agreement)
4. When you move from one address to another, did you send any change of address to INS? (I said yes and showed copies of my certified mail for my change of addresses for the past years).
5. Can you provide an updated employment letter and pay stub? (I gave him copies of my employment letter and pay stub....he kept the copies).
6. When it comes to SAP, do you think they still have a strong market here in the US compared to Siebel Systems? (I think he's trying to verify if I am really working in my field which is Siebel and want to make sure that I know what my field is all about)
7. What happened to your XYZ Company? (this is the company that I worked with before, but in the last few years, they change their name....go figure, he know the history of the company)

Then the last questions were the basic like have you been arrested, are you a terrorist, have you been selling drugs and stuff like that. He emphasize that even if you are not convicted of a crime (if you got arrested only without conviction yet)...they can deny the application.

Then, he asked me to follow him, took my fingerprints and then we both went back to the room, stamped my passport and took my EAD card. He said I don't need the EAD card no more and to expect the actual GC via mail.

Hopefully, I get the card before my planned vacation which is a month from now.

Hope this helps. Thanks!

Miguel

miguelerik,
Congratulations...

suryapet,

Be prepared for your interview.
I think you are going to be approved on 4/5.
Good Luck.

Last edited by a moderator:
Approved in pittsburgh

Lakshya said:
miguelerik,
Congratulations...

suryapet,

Be prepared for your interview.
I think you are going to be approved on 4/5.
Good Luck.
Laksya,

My GC got approved in pittsburg but they did not stamped in my passport.Now a days they are not staping in passport,because they are sending the cards in 2 to 3 weeks,If we need urgent to travel we need to go for stamping.

Good luck.

Thanks

Soooo Happy

After weeks of waiting after my interview at the local philly office, I was able to get my plastic card via snail mail. It took them almost 3 weeks to mail the card....that's fast!!!

Thank you so much for all of you who responded to my posting. It is definitely a great help. Goodluck to those individuals who are awaiting their approval. Mine has paid off. Yours will too!!!

miguelerik