I-485 Interview - CHICAGO mailed the file to wron DO!

Wron DO!

On february 23rd, 2006 my wife (USC) and I went to DO in Fairfax, VA (This is also a DO for washington dc folks) for I-485 interview. Couple of minutes later we were called to inside. Officer immediately told us that "he had a bad news!!!" It turns out that, Chicago has sent our file to New York, instead of Fairfax, VA. Thus officer didn't have our file!!!! He said they have made the request to get our file back where it should be, and it would take 6 to 8 weeks to get it in!!!!!!!!!!!! I think the travel time in 1700s was faster than that....We were in his office for about ten minutes! he took our phone numbers with a promise that he'll call us when he has the file! I asked him tho, if I had any problems with name check, background check etc etc... he looked into his computer, and said that all seems to be fine. Not to mentioned, there is only 9 people alive in the planet with my last name and am the only one with this name and the last name together..........we'll see what will happen next, we're where we were six months ago...

Thanks

Sorry to hear that !! I really hope your file will be transferred quickly to the right DO and that you'll get a new letter very soon ;) !!!

Ema.

Sorry to hear about that. That is 2 months of waiting oufff. Probably they send paperwork when they have like in bulk? At least they know where is at...hang in there ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
1700s

Thanks guys for prompt replies! I'm not even sure right now if we'll ever get a response from these people...They took our original NAO, too. Hence, we have nothing in our hands that says we were even invited for an interview...
Well, we'll see what'll happen!

Sorry to hear that....they called you in for an interview even without your file....its too bad that it was in a way waste of time. The only good thing is that you got to talk to an officer and know the status. Also your name check etc. have been completed. Now atleast you know what is going on and not having to wait without knowing. A point to be noted for us all would be to make copies of all the NOAs before going to CIS office.

I hope they get your file in the DO soon and approve your application. Hopefully you can contact the officer directly in case he gave you his tel no.

You can make an INFOPASS for March 23rd that will be exactly a month (almost 4 weeks) after your interview. Did you make copies of your NOA's? Just to check out if your file is in the process to be transfer to your DO.

Good luck,

Copies

Yes we have multiple copies of everything. That day tho we didn't have the copies of the NOAs with us, so we were forced to surrender our original invitation letter. I don't have the officer's phone number, but I know his name...Making a INFOPASS and visiting them at the end of the month is a good idea. He, the officer, also told us that there were about 15-20 people in the same boat with us. Chicago sent, also, their files to New York. "Bad Luck" I guess is what is going on. Couple of days after the interview, our house got flooded, and now our address has changed, a new home etc etc etc...Just a "bad karma."
I will tho publish my timeline in my next post...
thanks

Well, we just have received a mail from Fairfax, VA DO inviting us for the interview on May the 1st, Again!!!!

The interesting thing about this is the invitation letter is not our regular-fancy NOAs. This is clean white sheet of paper. Also, there was an attachment read as "Notice of Address Change" withouth any instructions. I am thinking maybe our attempts to change of our address due to flood initiated our case to move along-who knows.

I'll keep you all posted.

Hus