I-485: I have tax returns, but no W2

myaj

Registered Users (C)
My sponsor has the last three years tax return but missing w2 form for 2002, is the W2 form very important? can i apply without it?

call IRS and get the w2 for last three days. You will have it in no time. W2 is important is my understanding.

I don't think the W-2 form can be received from the IRS, because it's the company you work for which send it to you, I also have another problem, my co-sponso couldn't find his birth certificate and his passport expired, what are the other proofs to show that he is american citizen?

myaj said:
I don't think the W-2 form can be received from the IRS, because it's the company you work for which send it to you, I also have another problem, my co-sponso couldn't find his birth certificate and his passport expired, what are the other proofs to show that he is american citizen?
IRS has copies of your W2s. When we requested copies of tax returns they sent them along with copies of W2s, attached to each one. Basicly Birth Certificate and passport are the most official documents that show your origin, and you might need to inquire reissuing of the original. I can't think of any other document that can be put in its place.

myaj said:

An expired passport is a good enough proof of US citizenship. However, get a copy of the birth certificate ASAP because you never know when they ask for it (and trust me...they will).

Eric

so you think i should apply with an expired passport, then send them the birth certificate copy once we find it?

I also noticed that the w-2 for is only required if the person who applied for tax return applied a joint tax return with someone (wife...) so i don't think w-2 is necessary since my co-sponsor applied for his tax return individually, I think only the tax returns of the last three years will do,

myaj said:
so you think i should apply with an expired passport, then send them the birth certificate copy once we find it?

I would suggest to first find out how long it would take to get a duplicate copy of the birth certificate. If the wait is not extra ordinary long, get a copy and apply with all documentations. If you cannot wait for a duplicate birth certificate, go ahead and apply. When the case is being processed, they will send you a RFE (Request for further evidence) for the birth certificate. At this time, you can send them the copy.

Its your choice.

Eric

thank you guys, my co-sponsor just found his birth certificate, and also i don't need the w-2 form, because it's only needed if he filed jointly his tax return, but since he filed individually i don't need it, I called the ins and they told me so.
the INS really sucks, they just tell you things even if they're not sure about it, they told me before that I have to submit the w-2 forms otherwise i can't file, but today i was reading the instructions about the affidavit of support and i read that you have to submit the last tax return and w-2 only if you're filing jointly the tax return ..... so i called them i talked to a different person and she said the same thing that was written in the instuctions, I don't know why the first person wasted my time and made me wait all this time to find the missing w-2 form, he could have said i don't know, that's how they do all the time , just talk about stuff that they don't know about instead of saying i don't know let me transfer you to someone who might know . it's not the first time it happened, whenver i talk to them they give me two different answers,
anyways thank you guys i will file tomorrow wish me luuuuuuuuuuuck! that's I'm filing now MTR motion to reopen , so I'm really worried. I was already denied. good luck to all of you.

Last edited by a moderator: