I-485 Got Approved. Got Layed off

rajbinu

I-140 Got Approved. Got Layed off

Hello Everyone,

First of all thanks every one for keeping this forum alive. This is a wonderful place.

I applied my I-140/I-485 together in Dec 2002 from Company A. I-140 got approved in March and I got my EAD card too in March. Company A decided to shut-down in March. I got a similar offer from Company B. Company B is saying, they can not port I-485 as, 180 days are not over after filing I-485. They said , I can continue working on EAD and they can file new Green Card after I join. This means, I need to restart the whole progress all over again. So if I apply for Labor Certification from Company B, will it affect my I-485 from company A.

Please give some suggestions.

Last edited by a moderator:
I could be wrong

but from what i have read, you can use ac21 for the new job but hope and pray that your 485 is not adjudicated before 180 days (yea like thats gonna happen)!

Go thru murthy.com. I think this has been brought up many times.
I have not used AC21 so i dont know the full details. People who have researched more can add on this.

Thanks and hope everything works out for you.

here is what i found on murthy

"
Question 2 : I lost my job before the 180-day period. Can I still use portability? TOP

Quite possibly, provided the I-485 remains in pending (unadjudicated) status for at least 180 days. It is the I-485 processing time that is important, not when the beneficiary changes positions. This is because the "green card" (GC) is based upon a future job offer. The person is not required to have worked for the GC-sponsoring employer prior to filing or obtaining the GC. Accordingly, it appears the AC21 law did not intend to change the prior law, which only requires a future job offer with respect to the GC sponsorship in employment-based cases. Please refer to the disclaimer at the end of this page, since, at the time of this writing, the regulations have not been published.

"

look under faqs... ac21 faqs.

You may have to re-start the process.

If a person can continue the processing even whn he lost job before 180 days,
then what is the value or requirement of AC21 ?

patienceGC is guessing W I L D
........... ......... ...................... ................. ............ ........................................ .................... ............................... ..............................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................

I agree, with PatienceGC. I think it is not necessary that you stayed 180+ days with Company A, it matters that it took the INS more than 180+ days.

Here is why (just my two cents of course). Assuming one fine day it will take the INS less than 180 days (actually for a famous foreign scientists it already takes less than 180 days) this would create a situation there this scientist could theoretically get approved in say 60 days, work 100 days and then leave the firm to start a new job with another company. In other words, while you are required to stay with your company for 180 days, he was not. That is a legal problem, because you are both employement based immigrants with the same underlying rights. Yes, it is true that the INS can expedite whomever they think deserves it, but the underlying immigration law is the same as long as your immigration application is employment based. This may or may not the reason why the INS is looking at the 180 day rule from their side only (so you can switch before 180 days). Bottomline is that you should be able to continue on your current I-485. Some lawyers want to play it super save, because this AC21 is a grey area and not even a law (just a rule) and therefore recommend to start the process again (they would get more fees in that way too), but I think that it is not necessary.

I would check with another lawyer and not just go with the reco from that one lawyer you spoke with.

Originally posted by 1amShantanuB
You may have to re-start the process.

If a person can continue the processing even whn he lost job before 180 days,
then what is the value or requirement of AC21 ?

patienceGC is guessing W I L D

Look you fucking asshole... I dont mind your immature comments but if you start giving false advices without any reason, we will have to complain to the moderator. You do know that your IP has been logged dont you?

AC21 is indeed a law and not a rule like you say, helge. Immigration laws usually are accompanied by Regulations,
which are INS's interpretation of how they would interpret/enforce a particular law. In the case of AC21, these
regulations have not been released by the INS yet, even after 2.5 years of president clinton signing this into law.

The INS(BICS) had instead released a memorandum to the service centers/ local offices as to how they should deal with
issues relating to AC21, which can be found on most immigration websites. I am pasting the relevant portions of it below.

If you read the memorandum, you will see that it doesnt say when you can change your jobs, before or after 180 days, only
that, the application should be unadjudicated under 180 days. so you should be fine.

we have seen several examples of people who changed employers before 180 days, posting their approvals here.
what you have to understand is that all this might be changed when the regulations are eventually published.
so you might want to be extra careful and have your current employer start the new labor petition.

V. AC21 106(C) Change of Employment after 180 days (180-Day Rule)
*The AC21 106(c) provides that the certification or I-140 approval of an EB immigrant petition shall remain valid
when an alien changes jobs, if: (a) Form I-485 on the basis of the EB immigrant petition has been filed and remained
unadjudicated for 180 dys or more; and (b) the new job is in the same or similar occupational classification as the
job for which the certification or approval was intitially made.
*If an alien has complied with the above statutory requirements, adjudicators shall not deny applications for adjustment
of status on the basis that the alien has changed jobs. Under present prqactices, it is expected that an 485 applicant
notify the Service when they no longer intend to enter into employment with the employer who sponsored them on the
140 petition. The Serviceshould continue to expect the applicant to submit a letter notifyhing INS of this change in intent.
If the Adjudicator has reasons to believe that the applicant's intent has changed, a RFE may be issued to clarify the
applicant's intent in regards to employment.
In instanceswhere the applicant no longer intends to be employed by the employer who sponsored him/her on the 140 petition,
the Service should request a letter of employment from the new employer. The letter from thenew employer verifying that
the job offer exists should contain the new job title, job description and salary. This information is necessary to
determine whether the new job is in the same or similar occupation and to determine whether the alien is admissible
under the public charge ground inadmissibility. To determine whether a new job is is in the same or similar occupational
classification as the original job for which the certification or approval was initially made, the officer may consult
DOL's DOT or its online O*NET classficiation system or similar publications.
The Service is currentloy formulating proposed regulations to establish a policy framework in which to adjudicate AC21
106(c) benefits. Until the Service promulgates final regulations establishing such a policy framework, adjudicators shall
consult, on a case by case basis, with HQs beforfe denying cases on the basis that the new job is not in the same or
similar classification

Originally posted by rajbinu
Hello Everyone,

First of all thanks every one for keeping this forum alive. This is a wonderful place.

I applied my I-140/I-485 together in Dec 2002 from Company A. I-140 got approved in March and I got my EAD card too in March. Company A decided to shut-down in March. I got a similar offer from Company B. Company B is saying, they can not port I-485 as, 180 days are not over after filing I-485. They said , I can continue working on EAD and they can file new Green Card after I join. This means, I need to restart the whole progress all over again. So if I apply for Laber Certification from Company B, will it affect my I-485 from company A.

I really don't understand you. Your title showed "I-485 got approved.". But from your content you just filed I-485 for few months. What are you talking about ???

Originally posted by rajbinu
Hello Everyone,

I applied my I-140/I-485 together in Dec 2002 from Company A. I-140 got approved in March and I got my EAD card too in March. Company A decided to shut-down in March. I got a similar offer from Company B. Company B is saying, they can not port I-485 as, 180 days are not over after filing I-485. They said , I can continue working on EAD and they can file new Green Card after I join. This means, I need to restart the whole progress all over again. So if I apply for Laber Certification from Company B, will it affect my I-485 from company A.

Thanks for all the help. If I decide to join company B after 180 days and stay umemployed till that time, can I use AC21 to continue my I-485 in Company B.

Since You've already lost your job, not working till the 180 day mark is not going to help you with ac21. AC21 talks about keeping your job for 180 days, not "not joining another company for 180 days" Since you have this job offer, you should take it up.

"Company B is saying, they can not port I-485 as, 180 days are not over after filing I-485. "

Company B has nothing to do with your I-485. It is not as if they port the 485 or anything. all they have to do is give you a letter saying that your are employed with them.

You should probably talk to a good lawyer, who is well versed in these matters. Consult someine like murthy.

I think you should be OK.

Wish you well.