I-485 filing

jxw35

Registered Users (C)
My wife's employer asked their corporate attorney to file I-140 first even though the concurrent filing is allowed for I-140 and I-485. In this case, can we find another attorney to file I-485 without informing my wife's employer? What will be the impact if the corporate attorney files the I-485 later and INS received two I-485 petitions?

Thanks in advance.

jxw35:

My wife's employer asked their corporate attorney to file I-140 first even though the concurrent filing is allowed for I-140 and I-485. In this case, can we find another attorney to file I-485 without informing my wife's employer?
Answer: Not possible and not recommended since your new attorney will first ask for all yoru immigration papers so as to understand your case even before he/ she accepts it.

What will be the impact if the corporate attorney files the I-485 later and INS received two I-485 petitions?
Answer: I dont see this happening but if it does BCIS will get confused and guess who will be at a loss? The two of you.

Hence I recommend 2 options:
1. Best option: Re-concile with your existing attorneys
1. Next best: If 1 does not work then inform your old attorneys that the new attorneys are interested in reviewing yoru immigration papers!