I-485 and AC-21

Praise

Registered Users (C)
As of now I have completed more than 180 days since my I-485 was filed. I have received my EAD card and also got my Finger-printing done.

Here are my I-485 details :

RD : Nov 5, 2001
ND : Dec 2, 2001

I have just last week switched my employer. The new job is the same as my previous one. What do I need to do to keep the GC process going?

1. Do I need to inform INS proactively about the change of employer? Or, do I just wait for RFE/approval and respond accordingly?

2. Can my previous employer stall/terminate the GC process in any way?

Greatly appreciate your expert opinion.

Honesty is best

I am about to do the same thing that you have just done.

When I spoke to my attorney about AC21 he said that it is nothing to fear and honesty is the best. He advised that the following items should be sent to the INS:

1) A profile of the new company.
2) A letter from the new company detailing your responsibilities.
3) A copy of the most recent pay stub from the new company.

Hope that helps (of course I have not done this yet).

Please check out my post 'Using EAD to change employers' submitted by Rafters because I would like to hear your experiences.

Regards
David

As my previous lawyer would always say, 'while dealing with INS, the best policy is don't ask, don't tell'. Send them whatever they need only if you get an RFE. If not, why complicate things. Does AC-21 state officially that if you change employers you should send them the documents that you've mentioned? Consult a lawyer about that. If not, just wait for your approval, which I'm sure will be the case if your application is clean.

Your previous employer cannot jeopardize (i.e., revoke your I-140) your GC process now since it's more than 180 days since you applied for your 485.

no one answer

There is no one sure fire answer to this catch 22. Even I changed job after 180 days and did not inform about it.

Waiting to see how things go in my case.

But majority agree that it is better to keep quite untill asked. RFE may or may not generate in either case, so it's up to you and your lawyers.

This is one big grey area.