I-20 Expired before my new school starts?

snowmike

Registered Users (C)
Hi, thanks for anyone taking the time to read my question.

If an international student's I-20 is expired this month (May 9th to be exact), and she is going to transfer to another university and start again for the Fall semester (Aug 23rd). Can she stay in the US during the summer (May-9th-Aug-23rd?) or does she have to go back to her country?. Her F-1 Visa is NOT going to expired until 2012. It is just that we are really confused with the 60 days period and all.

If anyone has any insight about this would be great! :eek:

The 60 days only matters if she has graduated from the first program. If she is transferring in the middle of the program, then you just have to request a transfer from your first school. Your F1 Visa is only relevant when you are inspected at the POE (aka airport). Otherwise, it doesn't matter what date it is on the Visa stamp. The I-20 is what's mattered.

Assuming she has graduated and is starting a new program in fall, she needs to get an I-20 from the new school first and then go back to your old school's DSO to request a transfer. The old school cannot put in a transfer out request in SEVIS without the new I-20. Also, the 60 days grace period will kick in, so she will be ok from May 9 till early July. But she must request a transfer within that time frame or she will have to leave the country and come back.

She is transferring from a 2 years community college to a 4 years University. So she is still undergraduate student. By the way, i have found this while searching for an answer: w w w .zhangattorneys.com/f-1/transfer-school.html

Is that true about the 5 months transferring period?

Thanks for replying.

She is transferring from a 2 years community college to a 4 years University. So she is still undergraduate student. By the way, i have found this while searching for an answer: w w w .zhangattorneys.com/f-1/transfer-school.html

Is that true about the 5 months transferring period?

Thanks for replying.

Yes, the 5 months period is true. But from May to August is only 3 months. I assume that she just graduated with her Associate Degree. While going on to a Bachelor Degree is considered undergrad, F1 recognizes that as two programs of studies. So the 5 months can play a role if she wants to begin school in December instead of August. I believe she is even eligible for OPT after finishing the Associate Degree program.