I-140 and I-485 approved

honkman

Registered Users (C)
Good news for my wife and me, we got our I-140 and I-485 approved.
Since we both have relative similar backgrounds we both applied for OR with the help of our companies. Since her petition was finished faster we filed hers concurrent in February 2005. Got RFE after 4 weeks. Replied on 8th of June and get approval for I-140 and I-485 after one week.

Good luck to everybody.

honkman said:
Since we both have relative similar backgrounds we both applied for OR with the help of our companies. Since her petition was finished faster we filed hers concurrent in February 2005. Got RFE after 4 weeks. Replied on 8th of June and get approval for I-140 and I-485 after one week.

Good luck to everybody.
Congratulations. which center, would you list your qualifications, thanks.

tax return when filing I-485

Honkman
May I share your experience? Did you submit local tax return when filing I-485? In addition, Did you submit I-864 form? Thanks in advance!

Congratulations!

I sincerely appreciate your inputs. I am sure you will continue to help others on the forum

Congratulations Honkman

The forum will surely miss your active participation. Good Luck!

What was your center? CSC?

honkman said:

Good luck to everybody.
Congratulations!
Please keep up the good work here, if possible...

A little about the background:

- Ph.D. in Europe
- Postdoc at one of the top 2 institutes for this field in the US
- Now working at very established biotech company
- 12 papers in high ranking international journals
- several posters at international conferences
- one invited talk
- very prestigous postdoc grant, awarded in national competition
- about 150 citation. Majority of them discuss and compare results in detail
- worked 10 times as referee for top ranking journal
- 16 recommendation letters from top scientists from several countries in academia and industry (10 of them from independent sources)

Filed beginning of February 2005 in CSC. Received RFE after one month. Some of the issues of the RFE were a little bit surprising but it was possible to get all necessary informations and additional evidences were submitted on June 8th. Approval of I-140 and I-485 on June 15th.

@ monkeyzoo

I will check in the next days because I am not sure. But my feeling tells me that we didn’t submit local tax returns when filing I-485. Regarding the I-864: Since the company lawyer from wife’s company filed the whole petition I am not sure but as far as I remember it is necessary for form I-864 to submit the W-2 for the last three years and I can’t remember that he asked us for the W-2. (He might have asked the company directly which we don’t know).

@all

Thanks to this great board for a lot of help and I will definitely try to continue to help other member of this community.

Congraulations Honkman, You mentioned that you probably filed I-864 with I-485. Would you please verify if you filed I-864 or I-134 with your wife's I-485 as well. I understand if spouse is also working you dont need to show affidavit of support for him/her. Am I correct?
Thanks
Raj

Honkman,
Congratulations! Your background is amazing. :eek: Now I am not confident on my application at all. Is outstanding category so highly labelled? Looking at your background, I do not think I can get it. :(

MY background:
PhD with a top notch scientist in my field
postdoc in a top 20 university
currently working in a very top American based company in my field

but only
1. 5 papers, 3 unpublished paper
2.14 meeting abstracts
3. 13 recommendation letters, only 3 independent :(
4. one invited talk
5 two peer review
6. some student awards (probably not count :( ) and two Company awards (probably not count too)
7. One invited membership for the outstanding achievement in my field

A lot depends on the case (e.g. you may have one pioneering paper in a mediocre journal but it may have spawned a field!)... A lot also depends on how the case is presented.

I have two friends who got EB1-EA done with fairly simple credentials (caviat: their cases were in '99 time frame, and these days it is tougher). One didn't finish his Ph.D. (even as of today), and the other had just one second-author publication. They presented the case in a way that convinced the immig officers. My second friend's case was very interesting because his lawyer refunded his money as soon as an RFE was issued, and he responded to it nicely and got an approval within a week (and he thus saved a few thousand dollars too).

Also, EB1-OR is much easier than EB1-EA (and probably easier than arguing an NIW case too).

S

chiron, IMHO honkman's background is somewhat over-qualified
except that he is a foreign PhD. It also depends on the field.
For example, in relatively newer field sciences, there are less
places to publish and be cited.

I have couple of colleagues in my company who got their I-140
or GC approved with PhD degree from an average university
in US, less than 5 publications and just a few citations.....

Anyway, congrats honkman. Your contributions on this board
have been very helpful to many including me.

chiron said:
Honkman,
Congratulations! Your background is amazing. :eek: Now I am not confident on my application at all. Is outstanding category so highly labelled? Looking at your background, I do not think I can get it. :(

MY background:
PhD with a top notch scientist in my field
postdoc in a top 20 university
currently working in a very top American based company in my field

but only
1. 5 papers, 3 unpublished paper
2.14 meeting abstracts
3. 13 recommendation letters, only 3 independent :(
4. one invited talk
5 two peer review
6. some student awards (probably not count :( ) and two Company awards (probably not count too)
7. One invited membership for the outstanding achievement in my field

@chiron

I think your qualifications for OR are pretty good. You only might need a few additional things. And I think it is also important to have a good lawyer who is able to put all the scientific stuff in a nice way for any USCIS officer. You have several papers (I would wait with the petition until you the 3 unpublished are accepted). A lot of meeting abstracts and one invited talk. You worked as a referee (try to get a letter from the editor stating that you very choose because of your outstanding qualification. We did the same by explaining our situation and the editor was very helpful). Get three more independent recommendation letters (write email to some bigger names in your field explaining your situation. A lot of professors will help you). And get selection informations about the criteria for your membership. How many citation do you have ? With all these items I think you have a vry good chance for OR but check how the lawyer is writing your petition since they don't know much about science. BTW, do you work for Chiron ?

Thanks all!

Honkman,
It is almost impossible for me to get the items you mentioned in your mail. For the three unpublished paper, I already finsihed all the drafts, however, my postdoc boss do not want to publish them right now for the funding purpose. I already sent all my documents to my company lawyer. Not sure if he is good or not.

I used my husband's account to send this post. His EB-1 EA was denied recently and got a lot of good suggestions from you guys. Our time is almost running out.

Many congrats Honkman and keep up the good work.

Now thats what concurrent in supposed to mean.

Chiron (do you work for that company), Honkmans qualifications are great but that doesnt mean you cant get an approval. However you must try to get more independent letters in my opinion.

Are you on J1 visa?

I am not working for company Chiron. My company is much bigger and older than Chiron. I think this is my only advantage. :(

Need I-864 form when filing I-485 based on I-140 immigration?

I read carefully the instruction of I-864. I don't think we should submit I-864 form because the sponsor of I-864 must be U.S. citizen and permanent residence. we are not permanent residence right now, just in the process of P.R. I think we sholud submit employment letter to show we have financial support based on I-140 immigration. However, people should send I-864 form based on I-130 immigration. Any comments?

chiron said:
Thanks all!

Honkman,
It is almost impossible for me to get the items you mentioned in your mail. For the three unpublished paper, I already finsihed all the drafts, however, my postdoc boss do not want to publish them right now for the funding purpose. I already sent all my documents to my company lawyer. Not sure if he is good or not.

I used my husband's account to send this post. His EB-1 EA was denied recently and got a lot of good suggestions from you guys. Our time is almost running out.

I really think you need only two more things: Get 2-3 more independent recommenadtion letters (just write 10-15 email to some well known scientist in your field and explain them your situation. I am pretty sure at least 2-3 will help you soon). Get also some letters regarding your membership (importance and selection criteria etc.). When writing the templates for the recommendation letters also include a short part about the membership and its importance. You can get all these things in about 3-4 weeks.

Dear honkman,

Congratulation to you and your wife.

I just send your a private message. Could you check it?

thanks a lot