I-134 Requirement & Question

tito9

Registered Users (C)
I have been told by my lawyer that for Employment based CP interview we do not need I-134 for my family who are fully dependent on me, as this is secondary requirement. My Notorised Employment Job offer letter should be sufficient.

Also I have been reading on this forum, some CP'ers have not been asked for I-134 during the interview ? How true is this requirement?

To be on safe side, I will be carrying I-134 for my wife & kid. I had question about following items on this form;

3.That this affidavit is executed on behalf of following person;
Name: wife's name.
In the same further down there is another section
"Name of Spouse & Childen accompanying or following to join"
Spouse: I am not sure what to specify here, my name the sponsorer or wife's name.

7. Do we need to fill the figures here even though, have an employment letter ?

Any comments will be useful.

Originally posted by tito9
To be on safe side, I will be carrying I-134 for my wife & kid. I had question about following items on this form;
Good call! Alway err on the side of caution.
Name: wife's name.
In the same further down there is another section
Spouse: I am not sure what to specify here, my name the sponsorer or wife's name.
This is a personal affidavit, nothing to do with your employer. YOUR SPOUSE.
7. Do we need to fill the figures here even though, have an employment letter ?

What's the harm. An opportunity to judge your personal worth. :D

Tito

What your attorney said is WRONG!

My wife and I attended CP interview at Mumbai consulate. At the stage of document submission for my wife, the officer explicitly asked for 'Affidavit of Support'. When I gave him the notarized I-134, he said that was "the most important document for my wife. Without this document, she will not get her VISA"

I-134 is a must for all dependents in employment based cases - i.e. one each for all dependents! It has to be notarized. Please IGNORE YOUR ATTORNEY'S COMMENTS.

KAT02.

Tito...

I guess the requirement for the I-134 varies from consulate to consulate. I went for my GC interview at the Delhi embassy in late December and took a I-134 for my wife. However, the lady collecting the documents actually returned it to me at the time of document collection saying it was not required. So, I guess it depends. However, I would definitely carry it just to be on the safe side. You definitely do not want your case to be held up for something that is quite easy to fill out and execute. Just remember to get it notarized!!

Best of Luck,
Parag

Thanks for response.

My salary in last year's W2 has been more (fortunately) than specified in Employment letter. I am not sure what to specify in item 7 (..derive annual income of) in I-134, should it be from W2 or Employment letter.

Can this be a issue?

Can this be left blank?

Originally posted by tito9
Thanks for response.

My salary in last year's W2 has been more (fortunately) than specified in Employment letter. I am not sure what to specify in item 7 (..derive annual income of) in I-134, should it be from W2 or Employment letter.

Can this be a issue?

Can this be left blank?

Fill in the actual salary you earned.

Variations between the actual salary and the one mentioned in LC are not an issue as long as it is reasonable (ex: it cannot be 100% more than LC figure)

Raju

Folks

It seems that The I-134 requirement does vary from Consulate to Consulate. My GC was employment based and I had a notarized employment letter. I specifically emailed the Montreal Consulate if I needed an I-134 for my family members. The reply was that I need it only if my family will be travelling seperately. This seemed rather strange to me . To be on the safe side I took an I-134 for each member of my family. The forms were not notarized but the instructions on the form said that I could sign in front of the consular officer. During the interview at Montreal the I-134 was never asked for and the visas were issued for all my family members. However, as others have said, it is better to be safe and carry the I-134.

- Prithis

Originally posted by prithis
The forms were not notarized but the instructions on the form said that I could sign in front of the consular officer.

This is intresting. I did not read through that part of the instruction. But it makes sense, in the CP aspect. Notary is just verifying that "you" are the signatory. So I guess the Consular officer (who's going to issue "your" visa) can might as well verify.

I wanna fillin affidavits for my wife & kid.

I am little confused about this .... Please advise ...

- wife's/kid's name Right ?

Again in further down there is another section
- Do I need to put wife & kid names here ???

Thanks !!!

piska:

You are correct. You need to fill in your wife and kids names again in the lower part of the form.

Since the entire family's papers are kept together, the consular officers will easily verify that the names are correctly filled up.

Prithis