I-130 & I-485 doubts...

maribelf

Hi:

I’m planning to start an AOS (I-130 & I-485) for my son and don’t know what should be the answer for question 19 in the I-130 form.

My case:

1) I’m a USC by birth, living in US with my family.
2) My husband is under L-1.
3) My son is a L-2 visa holder. (He’s 20 month old).
4) I’ll sponsor my son’s GC to get his USC thru the Child Citizenship Act. I won’t sponsor my husband so far (we’re returning to his country as soon his 3 three year contract finishes).

Before going on, I have to explain you why my child is not USC (every time I talk about my son status I have to explain it :) ). He’s not a USC because he was born abroad and I don’t meet the requirements of make him USC abroad. Requirements? Yes, The law says: “A child born abroad to one U.S. citizen parent and one alien parent acquires U.S. citizenship at birth under Section 301(g) INA provided the citizen parent was physically present in the U.S. for the time period required by the law applicable at the time of the child's birth. (For birth on or after November 14, 1986, a period of five years physical presence, two after the age of fourteen is required”. I was born in New York however I had lived abroad most of my life.

I-130’s question # 19 reads: “Your relative’s address abroad”. Questions:

1) What should be my answer since he’s living in US?
2) Or ... Even though we’re in US, should I type in our some address abroad? (Like his grandparent’s address … because I don’t have an address abroad anymore)
3) Or ... Should I type in “none”?

Also, the first question in Part 2 of the I-485 says: “I’m applying for an adjustment to permanent resident status because:”. It’s a ‘check-the-box’ type question. I think that my son answer should be the first one (says: “an immigrant petition giving me immediately available visa number has been approved…”). Am I correct?

One last thing, reading emails and surfing the web I had learn that the AOS procedure ends with an interview done by an immigration officer. I’m curious to know what kind of interview should I expect for a 20 month old child… is there anybody in the group with a similar experience?

Any suggestion or tip is appreciated.

Regards,

Mary