I-130 for Parents living abroad: Questions

lematt

Hi,

This thread has been very helpful so far. I do have a few questions that I couldn’t find a response for. I am originally from France and got my U.S> Citizenship 2 years ago now. My parents want to move to the US to be closer to me so I am filing for both my Mom and Dad that currently live in France. My questions so far are:
  1. Should I send the 2 application separately? (different packet/envelopes) Or is it possible to send them both in 1 packet? Also the fee of $495 is for each I-130 form? (I would have to pay $495 for my Dad, and $495 for my mom?)
  2. On page 5 of Form I-130, they ask “Provide the address in the US where the beneficiary intends to live”. My parents have not found a home in the US yet, since we are about to apply. What address should I put there? Mine? Or N/A?
  3. Once I-130s have been approved, I understand that we will need to file a I-864 form. Is there any forms and information I can start to gather for when the I-130 are approved? It seems like there’s more forms to fill and I’d love to get a head start on those + documents to provide
Thanks a lot for your help!

Matt

1. They are two separate applications. I think you should send them separately so they don't accidentally miss one of the applications; but some people send them together. The fee for I-130 is $575. The fee for each I-130 needs to be on a separate check attached to the relevant I-130 form.
2. You can put your address
3. For the I-864, you should order your tax return transcript for the last year (and optionally the last 3 years) from the IRS here for free.

1. They are two separate applications. I think you should send them separately so they don't accidentally miss one of the applications; but some people send them together. The fee for I-130 is $575. The fee for each I-130 needs to be on a separate check attached to the relevant I-130 form.
2. You can put your address
3. For the I-864, you should order your tax return transcript for the last year (and optionally the last 3 years) from the IRS for free.

Thanks a lot! For #3, I don't have to send the I-864 until I hear back from the I-130 application and it is approved, correct?

One more question... on top of the I-864 that I will fill, once my parent's get their I-130 approved, they will have to file I-485? Anything else? I want to have them get started on the next steps as well. Thanks a lot!

One more question... on top of the I-864 that I will fill, once my parent's get their I-130 approved, they will have to file I-485? Anything else? I want to have them get started on the next steps as well. Thanks a lot!
You wait to be contacted by NVC and the consulate with forms and documents that they need you to submit. I-485 will not be involved.

I4
OK. Does anybody know what forms are usually involved for parents of a US citizen?
i485 is for adjusting status, if they are in France they won’t adjust status. They will go to an interview at the consulate in France. They will fill in a ds260 at some stage.