I-130 approved what now...

N400Completed

Registered Users (C)
I am a US citizen and my spouse's I-130 has been approved :D on 10-24-2005. I would like to know what are the steps involve :confused: before she is able to come to USA. She is currently living in Canada. Any insight is greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

All your answers has been discussed in this forum, please make a search.
In general, that the I-130 is approved is just that, that is approved. Doesn't give her any status yet. The only thing that she can do so far is visiting you or you visit her. Both of you most wait for her priority date becomes current and then the Visa Center with the Consulate will make you follow up other instructions. (Can be several years from now) OR if she is in the US (in a legal status by the time of her current date becomes available) then she can apply for AOS.
Good luck,

Pazi, I don't understand the part that you say that your wife has a visa? what visa?
The approval of the I-130 is not a visa approval. It's just a petition for a family member.
Good luck,

cherr1980 said:
All your answers has been discussed in this forum, please make a search.
In general, that the I-130 is approved is just that, that is approved. Doesn't give her any status yet. The only thing that she can do so far is visiting you or you visit her. Both of you most wait for her priority date becomes current and then the Visa Center with the Consulate will make you follow up other instructions. (Can be several years from now) OR if she is in the US (in a legal status by the time of her current date becomes available) then she can apply for AOS.
Good luck,
My understanding is US citizen don't have to wait for priority date for immediate relative (meaning spouse). Is it not the case?

As far as I know if your spouse got her I-130 approved that means your spouse is permanent resident now or GC holder. Please tell me the detail when you said it's approved, did you go to the interview and got the GC in the mail already?

With her temporary stamped passport(if she has any) or the green card, she can come and go to US anytime. Even work here in US, all she needs to do is get a airline ticket to come here.

In my case I'm still waiting for my interview on Nov before it gets approved.

You're right, GC through marriage doesn't have to wait for priority date

I am a US citizen and my spouse's I-130 has been approved on 10-24-2005. I would like to know what are the steps involve before she is able to come to USA. She is currently living in Canada. Any insight is greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

I-130 clarification

cherr1980 said:
Pazi, I don't understand the part that you say that your wife has a visa? what visa?
The approval of the I-130 is not a visa approval. It's just a petition for a family member.
Good luck,

Sorry I failed to clarify few points, when I said her visa is approved, I meant to say her I-130 has been approved. I'm a US citizen, but I just recieved a letter telling me the National Visa Center has completed all the process here and passed the document in to the consular office of the country where my wife is at. the letter also states that she might need to wait until her priority date and gives out a link. but the link I quoted is so confusing and I did not think it applies for US citizens.

Now shall I wait and see what comes next or contact the NVC office for clarification?

Thank you again for taking your time.

You are right, I got confused about GC and USC. But in any case, as I said the approval of a I-130 doesn't give her any status. Nobody obtain a GC per se because is married to a USC, there are some process that take time to get to that point.
If you send paper through Consular Processing (CP) you and her should be receiving information from the Visa Center to continue her visa processing as your spouse at the Consulate, if she continue outside the US. IF she can travel (if she has a visa B1/B2/H/etc) to get into the US she can through AOS or Adjustment of Status. You should contact the Visa Center to let them know that she will be doing AOS.
Papzi, when you apply you were already a USC or you was a permanent resident? sometimes they get confuse. PR and their family members, including some USC (not spouse or children) must wait for visa and dates availability.

Sorry at the beginning guys, I got confuse with the "priority date" thing and forgot that you were USC's.

Last edited by a moderator:
follow through

cherr1980 said:
You are right, I got confused about GC and USC. But in any case, as I said the approval of a I-130 doesn't give her any status. Nobody obtain a GC per se because is married to a USC, there are some process that take time to get to that point.
If you send paper through Consular Processing (CP) you and her should be receiving information from the Visa Center to continue her visa processing as your spouse at the Consulate, if she continue outside the US. IF she can travel (if she has a visa B1/B2/H/etc) to get into the US she can through AOS or Adjustment of Status. You should contact the Visa Center to let them know that she will be doing AOS.
Papzi, when you apply you were already a USC or you was a permanent resident? sometimes they get confuse. PR and their family members, including some USC (not spouse or children) must wait for visa and dates availability.

Sorry at the beginning guys, I got confuse with the "priority date" thing and forgot that you were USC's.

Hi, yes indeed... I was a PR when I applied, but on April I became a Citzn. that is when I upgraded my case. well -- I called the NVC office last week, and I was told that the office has done the process over here.... now it is up to the Frankfurt consulate office when to schedule an appt. for an interview.

I would really appreciate if there is an additional insight.

thank you

Yes, they suppose to manage that with the Consulate, that part is through the Consulate (Department of State). But they tell you that in their system already you are updgraded? Sometimes they don't so quickly and then people are waiting more time innecessary. Hope they call your wife soon!
Good luck,