Husband and wife, separate cases?

drjochen

Registered Users (C)
My wife and sent the N-400 together and had our fingerprinting together. Now, I received my IL ~ a week ago, but she has not gotten anything (both chases are the same, no name change or anything). For those couples out there who applied together, did you have your interviews together or on completely separate dates? Could het letter be lost in the mail (this wouldn't be the first time...)?

Hi there

My Dh and I submitted our N-400 together end of December. We did our fingerprints together mid January. I received my interview letter (scheduled end of April) last week.

I checked USCIS online/phone and Im no longer in the system (from what Ive read thats an indication that your interview letter is on its way). My husband hasnt received a letter and he is still in the system.

I was told that they dont necessarily process a married couples applications together.

In our case we have exact identical time line

drjochen, In our case both myself and my wife have exact time line (including the interview time). However, I see this as a coincidence. The IL is dependent on the completion of the background checks (including the name check). In some cases, the name check may not be complete for the spouse (my own theory).

Also, in our case the case status disappeared at the same time for both myself and my wife. May be you can draw your own inference between the case status and your situation.

It doesn't seem uncommon to have spouses follow processing together and then have their timelines diverge.

We submitted everything at the same time (different envelopes). Our initial NOAs arrived the same day, as did our FP notices. Our FP appointments were the same day and time.

Our interview notices arrived the same day, and the interviews were scheduled 15 minutes apart.

Then mine was descheduled and I was delayed nearly 6 months. Stuff happens.

We were very happy my wife's processing continued and did not get interupted by my problems (we had a pressing reason for my daughter to become a citizen).

It doesn't seem uncommon to have spouses follow processing together and then have their timelines diverge.

Yup - same here. My wife interviewed a few hours before me, but had to wait a month longer for her oath ceremony. No idea why it worked out that way, but guess it just proves you can't count on USCIS for consistency.

Nowadays family cases are handled separately, unless requested in writing at time of application to be processed together. They are handled separately even if they were sent in the same envelope. So, it is possible that at some point the cases diverge, and that one of them takes the road less traveled, and that this makes all the difference. (I hope somebody catches the poetic reference ;) My 2 cents would be that if you're uncomfortable with the turn of events don't come to the forum for a "statistical" sample which is not going to be very representative. What you should do is schedule an Infopass and find the real answer.

My 2 cents.

Thanks everybody. Btw., my case has not disappeared online (or changed), although my IL is dated 2/16.