Hrr And F1 Visa?

Raghu2k

Registered Users (C)
Hi ,

I am a graduate student from india. I traveled to US twice on j1 visa , both the times i was subjected to the two year HRR. Now i am back in India. It is something like a j1 visa,then a year gap in India, a j1 once again,then a gap of 1 year in india.

Now i am applying for an F1 visa to pursue doctoral studies.Am i eligible for the F1 VISA? How many waivers do i have to apply? Will the two years in India(with a trip to US in between) be taken into account for the 2 yr HRR of my first J1?

when should i start my waiver process? will the waiver process jeopardise the F1 visa?

You do not need waiver for getting F-1.

If in future you have immigration plans (or plan for H-1B employment), you will need two waivers (if programs were different) which you can apply for at the same time. Start waiver process as soon as you are in the US on F-1. I am afraid that "1-year plus 1-year in India equal to waiver for first J-1" logic of yours won't count towards HRR fulfilment.

Best wishes,

Jigesh

Disclaimer: Personal non-legal point of view only.

Generally, your two year HRR can be spent with "breaks" - just make sure all time in India is accounted for and you have the appropriate proof. However, after you acquired your second HRR the 2 year period started to run again.

I would think, that since you already spend 2 years in India it can cover your first HRR, so you would only have to get one waiver for the second HRR. It's really only my opinion, US agencies may want to calculate it differently.