how to obtain indian visa

ashsrikar

Registered Users (C)
Hi

Im travelling to india with my baby who is a us citizen.can someone tell me how and where to get my baby's visa for india.I'm residing in boston.

Thanking u in advance
ashsrikar

New Option....Better...

Information on PIO Card Scheme

The Government has announced the launching of a People of Indian Origin Card, which will allow visa free entry to Indian origin people living abroad and give them all the rights enjoyed by Non-Resident Indians (NRIs) including purchase of non-agricultural land. 15 million people of Indian origin living abroad will benefit from the Card. Fee for PIO Card is US $ 310.00 for adult and for children below the age of 18 years is US $ 155.00 (effective from September 15, 2002). Validity of new PIO card will be 15 years from the date of issue. However, it would not be issued to people of Indian origin living in Pakistan and Bangladesh. It does not give voting rights to the holders of the Card. It is eligible for the Indians who hold a foreign passport living abroad till the fourth generation. The PIO Card holder would be exempt from registration if his stay in India does not exceed 180 days. However, if the stay exceeds 180 days, the PIO Card holder will have to register within 30 days of the expiry of 180 days with the concerned Foreigners Registration Officer at district headquarters. The right to buy property would not be valid to Jammu & Kashmir. The PIO Card holder would be able to admit their children to educational institution in India under the NRI category. These include the IITs and Indian institutes of Management. They can also benefit from housing schemes of the Life Insurance Corporation, State Governments and other Government agencies.

thankyou for the information about PIO.
I have a question: do you have any idea what happens if we relocate to India with our child who is a US citizen. Do we have to register every six months,(I mean going to a nearest police station). even if we had PIO for the child?
Sorry if it sounds so silly.

Hey asdasd...thanks for the info

"It is eligible for the Indians who hold a foreign passport living abroad till the fourth generation."

Could you throw more light on that ?

Hope this applies to both
(1) Naturalized US citizens
(2) US born citizens from Indian Origin

With the dual Citizenship being implemented from Jan 2003 (On NRI Day), what are the options of upgrading the PIO card to Indian Citizenship ?

dual citizenship

Dear Edison_NJ,

Where did you find info about dual citizenship for india starting from Jan 2003? If there's a web link, please share it with us. Thanks.

hirgan

Hi hirgan,

Unfortunately, I don't have any document or links.

On Jan 07 (or some date - NRI Day) 2002, Indian Prime Minister Vajpayee announced about introducing the Dual Citizenship and he also said that it is expected to start from next year on NRI Day.