How to manage prior business before moving to US on H1-B

necromonger

Hi all,

Wanted to hear your thoughts on this.

I am currently in UK and my wife runs a small web business that makes a few hundred $$$ a month. She is a sole trader and our company is registered in UK.

We may soon move to US for a couple of years due to my job - I will be going on H1 so she will come as a dependent H4, which has strict rules of what she can and cannot do.

It is a bit ridiculous that I have to kill a prior existing profitable business, registered in UK, just because we moved geographic boundaries - and my wife has to suddenly stop nurturing it because we moved. But the regulations seem to imply that.

Has anyone else faced this situation? What did you do? Could we potentially nominate someone else in UK (for e.g.) to own it, while she works 'without pay' (sweat equity) until we get out of US again? Any opinions/experiences/thoughts welcome.

Thank you,

Hi all,

Wanted to hear your thoughts on this.

I am currently in UK and my wife runs a small web business that makes a few hundred $$$ a month. She is a sole trader and our company is registered in UK.

We may soon move to US for a couple of years due to my job - I will be going on H1 so she will come as a dependent H4, which has strict rules of what she can and cannot do.

It is a bit ridiculous that I have to kill a prior existing profitable business, registered in UK, just because we moved geographic boundaries - and my wife has to suddenly stop nurturing it because we moved. But the regulations seem to imply that.

Has anyone else faced this situation? What did you do? Could we potentially nominate someone else in UK (for e.g.) to own it, while she works 'without pay' (sweat equity) until we get out of US again? Any opinions/experiences/thoughts welcome.

Thank you,

who is gonna know what she does anyway??!!.she is a UK citizen and cyber space does not belong to USA ..so she can continue working on it as long as she want ..its UK based business anyways and she has nothing to do with USA in the terms where the money goes and such ...comming to the USA does not mean you have to quit your business back home .... this is non issue ..I have to tell you there is a lots of paranoid people here .. you been watching too much tv and us series on it .. crime is rampant here and authorities have full hands of dealing with all that s..t and they cope pretty badly with it to begin with so what gives you an idea anybody is gonna go after you if you run some on line business in another country .