How to go from H4 to F1? Must I step outside the US to do that?

Jagjivanram

Registered Users (C)
I am on H4. What is the process for transferring to an F1? Must I go outside the US (to Canada or Mexico) to get the F1?

two ways of doing it

Mr. Jagjivanram,
there are two ways of getting F1 done:
1,Through the international students office of the university where you have got an admission. It will take around 4 months to change your status to F1 but u will not have to leave the country.
2. about going to canada or mexico, this is not possible now as they (these US embassies) have stopped giving the appointments for status change after Sept 11. So if you want u can try it out by going to your home country(India , i guess) and apply for new F1 visa.
If you have full funding then you can try it out.
I was also in a dilemma like u are in now. I also had full funding but I did not take the risk of going to India and so applied it through International Students office here, its the safest bet I feel.
Anyways,
all the best.
with regards
KMB

My wife in a similar situation

Hi:

My wife is on H-4 too. She is planning to go to school starting spring 2002. Yesterday we came to know that she has very good chance og getting a teaching assistantship from the school.

(1) If we choose the first way, i.e, through the international students office, can we accept funding before her change of status to F-1 is approved? The school starts from Jan 22nd. So, we do not have four months time to wait for the F-1 approval. That is why i am asking this question.

(2) I saw in lawyer sheela muthy\'s website that they have again started allowing third country nationals to go to Canada and Mexico. You can find this info at the following link.
http://www.murthy.com/UDtmplif.html
I do not know how far it is true. I need to find out more info on this one.

(3) If we decide to get it from India do you know what form does she has to use (Form 156 or I-539) and what kind of documents are needed? Especially, what documents are needed to prove that we plan to go back to India. This is my fourth year on H-1 and we have not started anything with GC process yet. I have no intetions of applying for GC too.

Sorry for bothering you. But, i really appreciate your response. Thank you.

Regards,
Shyam.