How to fill out status in I-9 form

joekat

Registered Users (C)
On I-9 Employment Eligibility Verification form, there is a block to fill out working status:
- A citizen or national of the US
- A lawful permanent Resident (Alien #A__________)
- An alien authorized to work until __/__/__ (Alien # A______)

If I have a driver's license and a normal SS card, and I don't want to let the employer know about my asylee status, can I choose "a lawful permanent resident". Are they going to check GC if I choose this option? If I choose "An alien authorized to work", how should I fill out the expiration time?

Thank you for your advise!

Originally posted by joekat
On I-9 Employment Eligibility Verification form, there is a block to fill out working status:
- A citizen or national of the US
- A lawful permanent Resident (Alien #A__________)
- An alien authorized to work until __/__/__ (Alien # A______)

If I have a driver's license and a normal SS card, and I don't want to let the employer know about my asylee status, can I choose "a lawful permanent resident". Are they going to check GC if I choose this option? If I choose "An alien authorized to work", how should I fill out the expiration time?

Thank you for your advise!

What my family and I have done is to choose "An alien authorized to work" and filled "indefinitely" in the space left for the date.
That has worked for us over the years and with different employers.
Good luck

Re: Re: How to fill out status in I-9 form

Originally posted by alanpero1

What my family and I have done is to choose "An alien authorized to work" and filled "indefinitely" in the space left for the date.
That has worked for us over the years and with different employers.
Good luck

do we need to show EAD?

Kelvin

No, we just filled the form in the way I explained and showed the DL and the unrestricted SSC.

i don't know if it was correct back in the days given the fact that the message is from 2002. i am updating this message so that others don't get misguided like me cuz things have changed. we have better option. we are supposed to leave that blank. i did the same thing 2 days ago and i got a call from my HR dept asking me why i put indefinitely. while doing a research i found on the back of the i9 form that we're supposed to put that field black. it's on the .pdf guidelines that comes with the i9 form so it's easily available to the employers too. thanks to the USCIS that it is now more easier to prove my employers that i am authorized to work with the incident to my asylee status.

http://www.uscis.gov/files/form/i-9.pdf

it's under
" filling out i9 form "

it says, "Note taht some employees may leave the expiration date black if they are aliens whose
work authorization does not expire( e.g., asylees, refugees, certain citizens of Federated States of Micronesia.......)"

Last edited by a moderator:
Need advice

Please advise: I am yet to submit my petition for asylum. I've been in the country for 3 months now on a B2 visa and am currently putting my paperwork together. I used to live in the US 12 years ago and at the time I applied for and received an unrestricted SS card. I'm thinking of looking for work as I file my petition using my SS card and my driver's license. My question is, will this have any bearing on my petition application or the GC application later in any way?

Thank you for your help.