How to expedite the GC process

tparvaiz

Hi,

My company has filed for an I-140 Immigrant petition under premium processing... I am assuming that it will be processed within 90 days.

My understanding is that after the approval of the I-140, they will file for the green card, and until I get the GC, I won't be able to exit the country.

Q1. what else can I do to expedite the GC process?
Q2. when is the earliest I can leave the country (I need to know, just in case)?
Q3. what's the total ETA after I-140 filling till the GC?

I really appreciate any help you can provide.

Unless you are in the EB1 category, you currently can't file I-485 immediately with the I-140. (I-140 approval is irrelevant; it's visa number available that matters. If a visa number is available, you can file I-485 together with I-140, or file I-485 while I-140 is pending. If a visa number is not available, you cannot file I-485 even if your I-140 is approved.)

I am not sure what you mean by "won't be able to exit the country". You might be referring to the fact that if you leave the US while your I-485 is pending, you will abandon your I-485 unless you were granted Advance Parole before leaving, or you had H or L work status before leaving and return on that type of visa. I am assuming you have an H or L work status. In that case, you can leave and return on your H or L visa while I-485 is pending even without Advance Parole without causing your I-485 to be abandoned. In the period before you file I-485, you can also leave and return on your H or L visa without issues.

TN is not dual intent like H-1B visa. You need to hold back not leaving country after you file I-485 until its approval. If you choose to depart country after filing I-485, you could be denied entry back into USA since TN is not dual intent.

How can I expedite the I-485 process? As an example, there are some suggestions to get the medical and thumb printing done earlier, etc. (I might be giving the wrong examples)