how to determine who's processing one's application?

ateganda29

Registered Users (C)
hey everyone!

i reside here in maryland and have obtained permanent residency here for the past 10 years. i also lived in new jersey for 2 years prior to moving here in maryland. and when i first came here in the US, stayed in missouri for 3 weeks. when i recently applied for my N-400, i submitted my form to Vermont Service Center as instructed for all maryland residents.

- now, will my application be processed/forwarded to the Baltimore District Office after it had been received at the Vermont Service Center?
- and if that is the case, i should follow the timeline for Baltimore District Office as far as processing times go, right? which in this case is about 4.5 - 5 months?

thank you in advance!

What I did to find out which DO office handled my case was

i tried to schedule an infopass appointment using my zip code from here

It shall provide the DO which would / might handle your case based on your address in your N400.

Hi there!
I am just a rookie on this forum but I'll try to pass on to you what I learned from these good people here helping me as well:
1. if you are resident of State of Maryland your case WILL BE forwarded to BALTIMORE DO since it is under its jurisdiction. Your previous residences do NOT count, your CURRENT residence determines what DO is handling your application, in your case Baltimore. You have to reside at least 3 months in certain SC area (in your case Vermont) before submitting N-400, but since your application has been accepted I guess you lived more than 3 months in VSC area.
2. yes, you should go by Baltimore time line , bear in mind though that each application is processed individually and 4.5-5 months processing time for YOUR application MAY NOT apply, because of various reasons like NAME CHECK ( I think most common reason for delays), then infamous A-FILE TRANSFER delays, etc.
From what I've learned so far Baltimore is known for being very consistant on processing N-400s fairly fast, but again be prepared for possible delays as well. My advice : do NOT take for granted processing time of 4.5 -5 months. Be patient and wait for your number to be drawn.
But also I am not a lawyer, just a visitor to this forum.
P.S. gurus pls correct me if anything in my posting is wrong

chills said:
lol, You know you could be in the nursery home before they process your fuckin papers.

that is very true. however, you do not have to file the application thou.

it sucks for the gov't processing so slow. however, i wonder what we could do to press it faster -- nothing but waiting. sad :(

Yeah, I don't have to file the application my mother does. And my whole life is dependant on it. The thing that makes my situation so frustrating is that I don't want to live in this country. My girlfriend lives in Australia and I want to spend my life with her there, but my family lives here. My brother just recently had a kid and I'm afraid that if I leave now, that I'd have a possible 10 year ban on me, and that would suck not being able to visit my family for that long or see my newphew as he grows up. I'm just waiting for my petition and adjustment of status to be approved so I can travel and come back here, from time to time, legally to visit.

Last edited by a moderator:
chills said:
Yeah, I don't have to file the application my mother does. And my whole life is dependant on it. The thing that makes my situation so frustrating is that I don't want to live in this country. My girlfriend lives in Australia and I want to spend my life with her there, but my family lives here. My brother just recently had a kid and I'm afraid that if I leave now, that I'd have a possible 10 year ban on me, and that would suck not being able to visit my family for that long or see my newphew. I'm just waiting for my petition and adjustment of status to be approved so I can travel and come back here, from time to time, legally to visit.

i wonder why you said you would be banned for 10 yrs if you leave now.

Well, you're not supposed to leave the country when a petition is filed for you, that's what I hear.

okei, supposing one became out of status then married a USC. i read in other threads that the 'out of status' is forgiven when you marry a USC. now, when the USC files I-485, I-130, I-131 (travel), and I-765 (employment) for the spouse, can the spouse go out of the country for a vacation once the I-131 is approved? or does the spouse need to wait for the GC to be approved and received before he can leave the country? if that's the case, how long does it usually take from the time of filing to the time that the GC is approved/received?