How specific is INS on the N-400 pictures

desi_2004

Registered Users (C)
Hi folks,

Couple of questions -

I have got my N-400 pictures taken at MotoPhoto yesterday - but I had to tutor the kid there to get what I think are reasonably OK pictures. Now am just wondering if I should have gone to a place where they take the Naturalization pictures more frequently. During the I-485 phase (5+ years back), our lawyer had asked us to go to a specific store "since they take pictures correctly", and even the store person was very specific on how to stand, where to look, etc. My question is - is the INS as specific about the N-400 pictures too? Anyone exprienced delay due to this by INS asking to resend the pictures?

I am in the DFW area, and will be sending the application to the Texas service center in Mesquite. Does the INS release information that tracks the progress of the USC applications by service centers, which will allow us to estimate the completion? If so, can you please let me know what the web-site is.

TIA

desi_2004

Even if your pics are not upto standard they will notify you of it and you can take a new set to the interview

That's good to hear, as I am fairly happy with my pics, but I would have preferred them to be more perfect. The bloody woman at the Walgreens told me she had taken tons of these pics, but we had to get it redone about 4 times before they were somewhat decent. At one stage she wanted to move closer to me in order to make my head appear smaller on the photo, lol. I tried to gently tell her that moving further back might do the trick, but in the end I only confused her and she went and got the manager :rolleyes:

All fun and games I guess.

I wouldn't take a chance. I would rather go to a place where they frequently take picture for N-400 & for other immigration purpose. Their picture quality may not be that good, and probably you will be charged few extra bucks, but that's ok. Atleast you will have peace of mind. You can always find these type of photo shops next to the immigration office. Good luck

Choyty

I saw somewhere info that starting Aug 1, you can send regular pictures to USCIS (no more 3/4 turn or whatever that was). Old style pictures will still be accepted during transitional period...

Isn't it cool

Apparently no more need to go to specialized immigration photo businesses, just go to any place that does passport photos and one should be fine, unless I have missed something. It makes life much easier. Although in my case I am done already with most of the picture needs.

Thanks JoeF for putting all those links for reference, some of them I'd already visited, some hadn't.

My 2 cents.

desi_2004 said:
Hi folks,

Couple of questions -

I have got my N-400 pictures taken at MotoPhoto yesterday - but I had to tutor the kid there to get what I think are reasonably OK pictures. Now am just wondering if I should have gone to a place where they take the Naturalization pictures more frequently. During the I-485 phase (5+ years back), our lawyer had asked us to go to a specific store "since they take pictures correctly", and even the store person was very specific on how to stand, where to look, etc. My question is - is the INS as specific about the N-400 pictures too? Anyone exprienced delay due to this by INS asking to resend the pictures?

I am in the DFW area, and will be sending the application to the Texas service center in Mesquite. Does the INS release information that tracks the progress of the USC applications by service centers, which will allow us to estimate the completion? If so, can you please let me know what the web-site is.

TIA

desi_2004

I got them both at the time of I485 and N400 from a shop right across the street from the Dallas office "Immig Photo serv center" She charges I believe $13 for 4 and I never have had a problem, they know what they are doing.

Funny story, this morning at the intervies I had taken (2) more photo with me because INS is very famous for loosing the Photo Packet, anyway the INS officers says "These photos are small" as in size not that they are incorrect, I immediately responded, I got them done from across the street, and she did not raise the issue, so that answer probably helped me get my OATH letter today rather than re-submit, as the other two photos in my hand wire ditto, and would not have helped. She probably would have given me a N14 more info and put my file in pending.

If the story helps.