• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

How much money in bank account?

Bahar

Registered Users (C)
Dear Friends,

I am asking a question on behalf of my friend who won the DV 2007. He wonders how much money should he , his wife and his two sons have in their bank accounts as they do not have anybody in the State who can support them and fill the affidavit of support form for them? Thanx

Bahar said:
Dear Friends,

I am asking a question on behalf of my friend who won the DV 2007. He wonders how much money should he , his wife and his two sons have in their bank accounts as they do not have anybody in the State who can support them and fill the affidavit of support form for them? Thanx

=======

Hi,

I asked the same question to US Embassy in Kuala Lumpur and they said to me that for DV category "Evidence of Support" is not required. However, through other forum postings, I learnt that, it depends on the interviewing US post. Some posts never asked for it while the other's ask on the ground that the applicants will not become a "charge" to the US.

The idea of quantum can be had from US Proverty limits published on states department's web site for other non-dv immigrant visa purposes. For a family of four, the limit is US$20,000. And a sponsor (dv does not need sponsor) has to qualify for 125% of the proverty limit for other type of immigrant visas.

I hope this help.

-dreamer

Last edited by a moderator:
Anahit said:
For DV lottery, 100% of poverty line would be enough: http://www.uscis.gov/graphics/formsfee/forms/files/I-864p.pdf

Hi Anahit,

I followed your link but it is for I-864p. I think this form is not meant for or applicable, I mean by default, to DV cases. Even I-134 is not, by default, applicable for DV cases. Of course, if Consular Officer wants (their wish list is unlimited by law) he can ask for any or all of these until "up to his satisfaction" (and still they have the right to reject). It is also mentioned in my 2nd package that "if" the Consular Officer asks for affidavid or job offer......then.......". However, I believe, all these affidavits and bank statement have the potential to influence their decision substantially. That is why these are good as provisional measures.

Thank you.

-Dreamer

dreamscometrue said:
Hi Anahit,

I followed your link but it is for I-864p. I think this form is not meant for or applicable, I mean by default, to DV cases. Even I-134 is not, by default, applicable for DV cases. Of course, if Consular Officer wants (their wish list is unlimited by law) he can ask for any or all of these until "up to his satisfaction" (and still they have the right to reject). It is also mentioned in my 2nd package that "if" the Consular Officer asks for affidavid or job offer......then.......". However, I believe, all these affidavits and bank statement have the potential to influence their decision substantially. That is why these are good as provisional measures.

Thank you.

-Dreamer
Hi Dreamer,

The Evidence of Support can be any combination of the following three :
-Affidavit of Support: form I134 filled by a US Citizen or a Legal Permanent Resident.
-Job offer in the US
-Own funds ( bank accounts, assets).

Now, if you follow this link: http://travel.state.gov/visa/immigrants/info/info_1328.html#overview, you would read:
"Should diversity (DV) or returning resident (SB) applicants use the I-864 or the I-134?

They should use the I-134. The I-864 can only be used in the specified categories (most family-based and certain employment-based cases). All other applicants must use the I-134 if an affidavit of support is needed.

Do the same income requirements apply to all immigrant visa applicants even if they use the I-134?

No. The 125 percent minimum income requirement, the need for the most recent year's tax return and other requirements only apply when an I-864 is needed. Applicants using the I-134 will need to show that their sponsor's income is 100 percent of federal poverty guidelines as required under Section 212(a)(4) of the INA."

Hi,

From recent experience, I would contact (email) the embassy. My husband and I have recently been approved through CP in Argentina, and we emailed the embassy asking about the I-864 or the I-134. They said we should submit the former since it is more complete... So we did.

Again, I would contact them directly.

Hope this helps.

Good luck,
lola76

Bahar said:
Dear Friends,

According to the 2006 Poverty Guidelines, for a household of 4, your friend and his wife should have funds amounting to $20,000. If he does not have the equivalent of $20,000 in his account, there is no need to worry. if he has personal property example, real estate, a house, stocks and shares, car log books etc he can use this in addition to his bank statement.

The Consular Officer just needs proff that your friend will be able to support himself and his family financially when they arrive in America.

I hope this helps.

lola76 said:
Hi,

From recent experience, I would contact (email) the embassy. My husband and I have recently been approved through CP in Argentina, and we emailed the embassy asking about the I-864 or the I-134. They said we should submit the former since it is more complete... So we did.

Again, I would contact them directly.

Hope this helps.

Good luck,
lola76
So, what did you submit?
Never mind... I read your posting about your interview, where you said that you submitted I-864. Never heard of anyone who filled out I-864 for DV interview. :confused:

I submitted it in for the US Embassy in Argentina.

Although they said to do the I-864, I also got the I-134, but ended up submitting the I-864.

lola76

I asked this question from the US embassy in Ankara!
But this is for Iranian whose post is Ankara.
Is your friend Iranian or not?

My letter:

dear sirs I am Saeid from Iran. I am one of dv2007 winners and my case number is 2007AS00003xxx. I have a question about evidence of support.I am a veterinarian ( doctor in veterinary medicine) and I have enough money to support myself at least for one or two years in the USA. Is it necessary to have affidavit of support too? I asked this question twice in this question form and unfortunately I didn't receive any answer yet. Please answer me about this problem. sincerely Saeid.H

And their answer:

Dear Mr. H;

As our office is unable to verify financial documents coming from Iran, we need to request an affidavit of support from DV applicants from Iran. If you can provide an I-134 affidavit of support and supporting documents from a US citizen or green card holder sponsor we would greatly appreciate it.

Sincerely,

Immigrant Visa Unit

I hope it helps you!