How many parents?

Upstater

Registered Users (C)
Do you need both parents naturalized or is one enough to apply for passport for minor with a green card? Explanation: my wife had her oath, I am waiting for the oath letter. I would like to apply for passports for my kids together with hers.

Thanks.

Not at all, your kids' passports can be applied together with your wife. Many people including boatbod (or was it Flydog) on this form had a similar experience as yours when one parent applied (and received) for the children's passport.

When a parent is naturalized, his/her children get automagic citizenship if:

• They are under 18
  • The are "legitimate"
  • They live with the US Citizen parent
  • They are permanent residents (i.e. have a green card)

My daughter applied for her passport on the way home from my wife's natz ceremony. I didn't naturalize for several months after that.

If the children do not meet all those conditions, but later meet them all (for example, they are residing with grandparents at the time of the naturalization, but later moved home), they get automagic citizenship once all of the conditions are met.

The passport application's instructions are pretty clear on how to do this. One thing to note. If you and your wife have differing last names (as we do), include a marriage certificate in with the passport applications.

Not at all, your kids' passports can be applied together with your wife. Many people including boatbod (or was it Flydog) on this form had a similar experience as yours when one parent applied (and received) for the children's passport.

My son was born a USC on the same day I naturalized - it was purely coincidental that we applied for his passport at the same time :) However, usually you do only need one parent to naturalize in order for minor children to automagically become citizens. The key requirements are legal custody, presence in the US and LPR status.