How long must my passport be valid to return to the US?

Homermn2001

Registered Users (C)
I am traveling abroad for a week in April and my passport expires in Dec. I've purchased the tickets in my maiden name, which is on my passport. Since the tickets are in my maiden name I do not want to change my passport until I return in April. How long must my passport be valid as a GC holder to return to the United States?

I think the rule is some 6 months or so. I once have entered US when my passport was valid for 9 more months.

Homermn2001 said:
I am traveling abroad for a week in April and my passport expires in Dec. I've purchased the tickets in my maiden name, which is on my passport. Since the tickets are in my maiden name I do not want to change my passport until I return in April. How long must my passport be valid as a GC holder to return to the United States?

If you are a Green Card holder then I don't see why your passport needs to have any validity beyond the day you re-enter. Because, the day after you get back you can apply for your new passport. It is your GC and not your passport that proves your eligibility to enter, reside and work in the USA.

Of course, this is different for non-residents as their passport must be valid for the duration of their temporary stay. As an LPR, your stay is not temporary.

Homermn2001 said:

You may return home on your passport till the day it expires. 6 months limit is usually when applying for a visa, they won't grant you a visa if passport is valid less than six months into the future.