How long it takes...........

Trueman999

Registered Users (C)
Does anyone knows the current time frame to get a green card through marriage. Wife is US Citizen. If anyone knows please let me know.
Any comments are highly appreciated.

I think it would depend on what INS center your case was filed with. I am a citizen and we had applied for my husband's GC from San Jose in June 01. It was approved in April 02.

Last edited by a moderator:
Parekh,

Was there any special security check besides finger printing.
Please provide some more details about your experience.

I am waiting for my GC stamping after the AOS interview/medical/finger printing and was told that there is some security check now required.

There is another thread "How long after AOS interview" where we have some timelines and info on this.

Thanks.

Hi,

Prior to our interview the INS had not sent us details about the medical check up. So after the interview, the officer gave my husband the required forms and asked him to mail them to the INS center. He said he had approved the case, but couldn't stamp my husband's passport since we didn't have the medical results. He said my husband should go back to the INS center about a month after mailing in the results to get his passport stamped. But luckily we had the actual green card in hand in less than 3 weeks- so he never got a temporary stamp in his passport!!

If there was a security check, I'm not aware of it. What might have speedened up the process is that my husband had already been here since 4 years- first on a student visa, then on an H1. so it might have been easier to run a security check on him, vs. a person who does not have any US record. This is just my guess - or we just got plain lucky :D Hope this helps.

Parekh,
Can you please explain breifly if you hire the lawyer for your husband sponsorship or you just did it yourself. Please let me know how to get started on this. How long it tool you to get a GC.

we did it ourselves - needless to say, saves a whole lot of money :) Basically we just read about it on the INS website - requirements, forms, fees etc. It's not really that difficult - just time consuming and boring. we applied in June 01 and the case got approved in April 02.

Thanks Parekh for the info.
I've been here for 5 years now which leads me to believe, a lot of the delay may be administratiive.

AOS Interview

RD: 5/25/02
EAD: 5/27/02
FP: 3/4/03
Interview: 3/11/03
Case Approved: 5/23/03
GC Stamped: 5/27/03

Don't count of my timeline though. I've read some have been waiting for GC stamped since October 02 because of the addtional security check implemented late last year.

Good Luck to you all!!

Hi TigerWoody

I am still waiting for Security check after the interview was completed. Did you get the approval notice in mail after your interview. Did your online case status message changed when you got your approval letter or stamping done.

Thanks