How long it takes for the REF letter to arrive

bal2002

Registered Users (C)
Hi

The status was updated on 18th may, that a rfe letter has been sent to yme on 18th .....

We haven't got the notice yet. I checked with my lawyer she hasn't got them yet.
We recently did an address change, and we did receive the confirmation letter and my ead came to my new address.

It's been a week so i am getting little nerves now. Typically how long it takes for the notice to arrive??

If i don't receive them say before end of this week, what should i do??

Please help me

some times it takes more than a week. My attorney's office received the RFE letter after 8 days. So hang on ... your attorney should get it in a day or two.

REF timeline

Online status says rfe sent on may 20 ( thursday) . havent received it as yet.
This is on the ead renewal so I am kind of worried what info they need now!
let me know when you get the rfe
last year, i had issuewith 140 rfe. did not get mail after 2 weeks, we called ins and they sent rfe again. we lost a few weeks but were ok. hope that does not hapen again

No I haven't

I even went to old post office and asked them whether there are any mails pending to be forwarded to my new address, they said no.

I believe this rfe and other uscis notices normally won't get forwarded.

I talked to the lawyer and she asked me to wait for 14 days and call uscis.

Thanks
Bal2002

It happened to me as well last year

Wound not harm to call usics- to make sure they have the right address
thanks

I Called USCIS yesterday

and talked to a lady. She took my old address / new address information again and told me the RFE letter will be resend to my new address.

This is BS man, we changed the address 2 months ago, and got a confirmation letter from USCIS about the address change, and got my new EAD at my new address.

How many databases they have?
It seems to me that they keep address separately for each application(EAD, 485, AP etc) and not attached to the applicant Alien #.

When i called them and changed the address i did give all my pending applications receipt numbers...

I hope they send the rfe to my new address soon.. this is really scary...

Hi Guys. I hope both of you get RFE very soon.

Doesnt the RFE go to the lawyer. Or does it go to both the lawyer as well as the applicant.

Secondly what happens when you dont get it. Do you have any options to get a duplicate one. I hope they dont deny the case because of this screw up. I read in VSC forum that somebody did not get RFE for 140 and they denied the whole case. He is planning to appeal it.

This also happended to me 2 years back when I was doing a Change of Status from J1 to F1. I never got the RFE from Texas Center. After repeated calls to INS and checks with Post Office nothing helped. Finally one day I just got the approval directly. Maybe it was good luck.

Please keep us informed about this as it seems to be happening a lot lately.

Thanks !!
Puneet

Hi Hambir did u get a chance to

talk to USCIS about the rfe notice.
Please update this thread once you receive the rfe.
I am still waiting...

bal2002

RFE with USCIS from April 7

I changed address few months before applying 485/EAD/AP. But our RFEs were returned back as it was sent to previous address. After changing address they sent few but one for my RFE is still with USCIS from April 7.

Now my wife's EAD and AP were approved on May 13 and May 20 but mine is still pending.

This is the response I have from my lawyer
"The USCIS may still be in the process of resending the RFE for your Advance
Parole. As it has not yet been 30 days since my last inquiry to them, they
cannot request the documents to be resent at this time. If the RFE is not
received within the next few weeks, we can inquire once again."

RFE was sent only to lawyer

I was issued I-485 RFE on 5/20/04. I did not receive it till date but my lawyer received it during memorial weekend. I thought both the lawyer and applicant receives it.

still no news

I haven't received the rfe notice yet.
I talked to the lawyer today asked about sending EVL and Birth affidavit with out waiting for the RFE. She said no.

So.. still waiting..

Hi Bal2002.

This is really frustrating news indeed. I think your attorney is not that involved in your case. Usually it doesnt take more than 3-7 days to get any piece of mail. I dont think you can send info unless you have RFE envelope. They will probably not link it to your file and it will get lost as well.

If I were you I would talk to one of the better attorneys like Mr Khanna or Ms Murthy (even if you have to pay for consultation) . Also I think there are some attorneys who are liaisons between USCIS service centers and AILA. Maybe you should try and talk to them as well if they can contact the service center directly because this is not your fault that you did not receive the RFE.

Last edited by a moderator:
Do they mail the RFE to both applicant and lawyer? I thought it is mailed to lawyer only.

I am planning to move to a new address. As I was thinking the RFE goes to lawyer, I was feeling safe about the address change. From this thread, it seems I may have to rethink at this advanced stage of the process. I do not want to prolong the process further, if it can be avoided.

-sk

Finally the notice arrived yesterday

What a relief. They pasted the new address on top of the old address on the rfe. When you file I485 you need to file G-29? ( i don't remember the exact form number) to authorize your lawyer as your representative.

Then your lawyer will receive the rfe notices, the approval notices will also go to the lawyer and a copy will be sent to you.

The address change is biggest pain, i am sure my approval notice will also go to the old address, and i will have to go through the same thing again..

For the people who are not following this thread, i did an address change back in april and got a confirmation letter and also my ead which i applied back in jan came to my new address. But the rfe notice was sent to my old address and i have call USCIS after 14 days and ask them to re route the notice to the new address, which they did and i got the notice yesterday..