How long i can work on h1b receipt?

rblms

Registered Users (C)
It is around 5 months since my h1 has expired. i am still waiting for approval. how long i can work with h1 pending status ?

I have also filed 485 but never applied for ead.

The best of my understanding- you can work indefinitely on H1 receipt.
Best also to apply EAD- no harm in doing that.

rblms said:
It is around 5 months since my h1 has expired. i am still waiting for approval. how long i can work with h1 pending status ?

I have also filed 485 but never applied for ead.

I remember my attorney mentioning that 180 days work is allowed on the receipt notice. I would upgrade to premium processing ASAP.

No Cannot!!!

You CANNOT work indefinitely on H1B receipt. There is a limit on the days. I remember it mentioned by my company immigration department as about 9 months or 270 days.

If you prefer to stay on H1, then you can still change to premium processing, funds permitting. You will get your approval 15 days from they receiving your 1000$ check.

Gowtham

Guys, i don't know about the limit. However, i have just filed 8th year H-1B extension as i my EAD had expired long time back. I'll be working on H1-B receipt.

Just to be on the safe side and it's cheaper, i have also applied for EAD renewal and AP so that i can travel.

Problems with extending H-1B is that if you are working in receipts then you cannot get driver license renewel and if you have an emergency you can't travel. Moreover, even when the petition comes in hand you'll have to apprear for an interivew in your home country to get the stamping if your old stamp has expired more than 1 year ago.

I have learned that no theory works with USCIS and just to save yourself with headaches it's better to apply for EAD/AP>