How long I can stay in India without affecting PR status?

GreenMe

Hi, I am planning to visit India and stay there for about 5 to 6 months. Could you please let me know what is the recommended length of stay, so that my LPR (green card) status is not affected? Would it be a problem while returning to USA after staying abroad for about 6 months?
Thanks,

Mehta

I have just got my green card and have come out of USA after 7 years. Now I have been offered a job.
1) Can I work outside USA without affecting the PR status?
2) If yes, What do I have to do to maintain my status?
3) What is implication of the filing of returns and the TAX in the USA?
Thank you :confused:

rude replies

some of you are just so rude...............if a person is asking a question, why can't you be polite while replying to the question..........obviously I did not know where to read the law, otherwise I would not be writing in this forum............'dude'

mehta said:
I have just got my green card and have come out of USA after 7 years. Now I have been offered a job.
1) Can I work outside USA without affecting the PR status?
2) If yes, What do I have to do to maintain my status?
3) What is implication of the filing of returns and the TAX in the USA?
Thank you :confused:

This issue has been discussed in detail on multiple occasions on this forum. Search and you will find the threads. Also try the citizenship forum.

It is my understanding that one can stay 6 months without a problem. 6-12 months is a gray zone. More than 12 months, you need to file paperwork before leaving.

JoeF/TheRealCanadian/others can probably elaborate on this.

Bottom line, your work outside should be of a temporary nature, and the intent should be to stay in the US "permanently" as a permanent resident.