How long do I must stay in States each year?

cushabee

Registered Users (C)
I had interview and received a Conditional Green card. My question is any legal requirement that I must stay in States for certain time to maintain my GC each year? I heard someone said each year have to stay for 6 months, is that true?

thank you!

Last edited by a moderator:
cushabee said:
I had interview and received a Conditional Green card. My question is any legal requirement that I must stay in States for certain time to maintain my GC each year? I heard someone said each year have to stay for 6 months, is that true?

thank you!

You can stay out of the US for less than a year without losing your permanent residence. If you wish to stay for more than 1 year but less than 2 years, you need to apply for a re-entry permit to preserve your PR status. This is a recent discussion regarding re-entry permits... http://www.immigrationportal.com/showthread.php?t=209910

I think you are confusing this with the residency requirements for being eligible for citizenship.

ari4u said:
You can stay out of the US for less than a year without losing your permanent residence. If you wish to stay for more than 1 year but less than 2 years, you need to apply for a re-entry permit to preserve your PR status. This is a recent discussion regarding re-entry permits... http://www.immigrationportal.com/showthread.php?t=209910

I think you are confusing this with the residency requirements for being eligible for citizenship.

ari4u, what is the residency requirements for being eligible for citizenship? when i was approved for GC, the officer told me that i can apply for citizenship 2 yr 9 mon from the day, do i have to stay in US for at least 6 mon/yr and total 18 months from now on? thanks.

mila2006 said:
ari4u, what is the residency requirements for being eligible for citizenship? when i was approved for GC, the officer told me that i can apply for citizenship 2 yr 9 mon from the day, do i have to stay in US for at least 6 mon/yr and total 18 months from now on? thanks.

There are two parts to residency requirement
1. Continuous presence : 3 years as a Permanent Resident without leaving the United States for trips of 6 months or longer
2. Physical presence: 18 months

also if you got your GC as the spouse of a USC...
You should be currently married to and living with a U.S. citizen AND
Have been married to and living with that same U.S. citizen for the past 3 years AND
Your spouse has been a U.S. citizen for the past 3 years