How long after NOA do we have?

ivelina

Registered Users (C)
How long after the NOA is the visa valid for?

Hi everyone,

My parents need to know how many months they have to go the Consulate after they receive their visa number. Is it 6 months or 12 months? Because my mom will need quite some time to get the household ready to move.

Thanks,
eve

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't quite well understand...are they here or in their home country?

Because NOA or I-797C (notice of action) is received here when you file a petition but you say "their NOA"...so I don't quite well understand what are you referring to? Adjustment of status?

If they are going through CP or Consulate Processing, then you are the one who received a NOA about your I-130 and they will be contact in their home country and they will received a packet with forms to fill out.

cherr1980 said:
I don't quite well understand...are they here or in their home country?

Because NOA or I-797C (notice of action) is received here when you file a petition but you say "their NOA"...so I don't quite well understand what are you referring to? Adjustment of status?

If they are going through CP or Consulate Processing, then you are the one who received a NOA about your I-130 and they will be contact in their home country and they will received a packet with forms to fill out.

I know that I will receive the NOA and they will be notified by the visa center with their package and letter. But how long can they hold on to that package before they go to the consulate to get their visa? And then, if they obtain the visa in their passports, how long is the visa valid for entry?

I'm asking because I know that the NOA will come within the next 2 months, yet my parents are not quite ready to leave their country. There are a lot of logistics in the way before their final departure.

So we need to know, how much time is their visa number valid for before they can no longer go claim it at the consulate?

I'm sorry if I’m not being 100% clear. I'm not sure how else to put it.

eve

Well now thatt you edit the first post so now I understand more clear what you was saying... ;)

After they received the package they should start all the process, that will take time, around 6 to 8 months but that really depends on the Consulate timeline and that varies.

After they received the immigrant visa I thinkt hey have up to 6 months to enter to the US.

Just to receive the packet does not mean that things will be as faster as you may think, there are security checks and medical examination that they will need to get and other things and that takes time :cool:

Good luck,

cherr1980 said:
Well now thatt you edit the first post so now I understand more clear what you was saying... ;)

After they received the package they should start all the process, that will take time, around 6 to 8 months but that really depends on the Consulate timeline and that varies.

After they received the immigrant visa I thinkt hey have up to 6 months to enter to the US.

Just to receive the packet does not mean that things will be as faster as you may think, there are security checks and medical examination that they will need to get and other things and that takes time :cool:

Good luck,

I see. Wow, that is a long time. I tried to search similar topics here on the forum, but nowhere does is actually talk about the timelines between the ready visa number/package sent and the actual obtainment of the visa.

So you have cleared that up. :)

Thanks a bunch,
eve

The issue is that the packet contains a bunch of forms that they need to fill out and they must get a police clarance, a medical examination in one of the doctors assigned in their area and other things I think. And that, of course, takes time. After they submitt back those forms then they must wait to be notified. If everything is okay then an interview will be advice and that part takes another time...so when you sum the entire time since you apply to the visa in their hands plus they will be subject (as all immigrants) to background checks it has been like 6 to 8 months, could be a little bit less or a little bit more. But even after the visa is granted they still have sometime to enter the US, they can ask that at the interview at the Consulate to be sure, but I think the time is like 6 months.

Good luck,

Last edited by a moderator:
cherr1980 said:
The issue is that the packet contains a bunch of forms that they need to fill out and they must get a police clarance, a medical examination in one of the doctors assigned in their area and other things I think. And that, of course, takes time. After they submitt back those forms then they must wait to be notified. If everything is okay then an interview will be advice and that part takes another time...so when you sum the entire time since you apply to the visa in their hands plus they will be subject (as all immigrants) to background checks it has been like 6 to 8 months, could be a little bit less or a little bit more. But even after the visa is granted they still have sometime to enter the US, they can ask that at the interview at the Consulate to be sure, but I think the time is like 6 months.

Good luck,

Right. That's actually good for us. We need the time. We were worried that we would be rushed to come into the country, but it seams there is nothing to worry about :)

What about people who do a change of status? do you know how long it takes then? B/c my dad is actually in the country untill november visiting. so when the Visa center notifies me that their visa number is ready, I will call them to ask them if he can do a change of status instead. I already called them and they said that it should not be a problem but that it will be up to the CIS b/c then the visa center would return his case to them. So we might do a AOS for my dad if he is still here when the number comes out and a consular visa for my mom who is still home.

Thanks,
eve

Same deal...now is getting faster, it depends on your District Office and if his name check/background check gets clear out on time by the interview. In general these days looking at the posts over here is taking an average of 5-6 months.

If he goes through AOS, everything is done here and if he wants to travel then he must apply for I-131, since his visitor visa won't be valid anymore once he apply for I-485 (Adjustment of Status).

Good luck,