How long after GC to change jobs? Good offer enough?

dudler

How long after GC to change jobs? Good offer enough? Help!

I've had my GC for about 3 months now. I was contacted by a company that ended up making me a good offer.

I've been reading about this here and many suggest to stay with sponsoring employer for 6/12 months to avoid GC related problems.

I got my GC through L-1A , that doesn't require labor certification... not sure if that makes any difference...

I was wondering if by having a good offer in hands, by having proof that I was contacted by the employer (and not vice-versa) and also proof that my sponsoring employer is not doing well (lay-offs made public and public financial info), I could have enough evidence to support that I had the intention to work for my sponsoring employer all along but due to the current circunstances I can't turn down the offer.

Any advice will be very welcome! Thanks very much for all the contribution to the boars here... They're very helpful!

Last edited by a moderator:
If something happens, what do do?

Thanks a lot for the reply. Other replied on the topic would be great.

Now.. thinking about the worst case scenario. If problems do come up, is there anything my future employer would be able to do to help besides offering their immigration attorneys to prove the case?

Thanks a million!

Do you have a neighbor, a coworker, a business competitor,
an ex-spouse, or a x-girlfriend/boyfriend whom you hate or
envy and who got his GC thru employment
and changed employer soon? If you so, you can do an
unpleasant expriemnt to see whta will happen by sending
an anonymoius tip to the INS :)

Last edited by a moderator:
This is what my lawyer told me

....that you can change job anytime after getting GC. There is no fixed duration. It depends on your relations with your employer. That's it. It has no bearing on GC extension or Naturalization processing.

I do believe that to be true because I know of several cases who changed jobs within a few weeks of getting GC without any problem. A friend of mine infact joined a top Business School a few weeks before his 485 was approved. He then informed his employer within a few days of getting passport stamped, that he was quitting. He did this 2 years back (before 180 day job change rule etc.). He is happy and doing great right now.

So I don't think it is a big deal..... But to be on the safe side 3 months should be fine......Just a friendly advice....Not a legal one. Talk to your lawyer for more accurate advise. When you go for stamping the INS officer tells you that you are now free to change jobs. Why do you think he/she says that ? Obviously because they have never prosecuted anyone for changing jobs soon after getting GC. If they start doing that then 50% of the current GC holders will have to be deported back. So take it cool.....

JoeF

Why do you keep throwing your weight around everywhere when you are not a lawyer? Or maybe you are a liar.... Just keep your stupid fundas to yourself, ok. You try to act like the Attorney General. You just have to get it your way. That's it. Even if it doesn't make any sense. Stop throwing your crappy flab everywhere.

woreq123, shut your hole!

This is an immigration community forum for ordinary immigrants.
If you are only interested in opinions of lawers, do not post and/or read posts in this forum, but go and pay some lawer(s) for a consultation instead.

JoeF does not post idle speculations or unsubstatiated claims here: his posts are always reasoned and based on laws and facts.
If you don't agree with them, argue with his posts on the merits. If you can't take the fact that JoeF knows more than you do about the immigration law, deal with it!

What about notification

If you get laid off soon after getting your stamp and then get a new job, are you obliged to inform the INS about your change in job? If the sponsoring employer were to ask the advice of a lawyer, who they recommend that the employer volunteer information about the employee being laid off?

Sean

agree with JoeF fully ....

woreq123 definitely got his fundas wrong !!!

Its true that if everyone played by the "LAW" lots of these GCs will be stripped of their status and I personally think that its a shame ....the immigration laws are being abused and someday INS may wake up !