How easy is it to get a PR for American born child

AKMA

Registered Users (C)
Vault,
Thanks for all your previous replies, I have this particular question for you, How easy or hard is it for a child born in US to Canadian PR parents, do they have to meet the financial requirements & show the previous tax returns, unlike for a spouse, all these are exempted. & to my understanding the landing fees & processing fees applies as a regular case (approx. $1,450 ). These are all apart from the visitor visa fees at the border for 6 months.
Input from all other senior memers too are welcome
Thanks

AKMA,

It's really funny you asked me this question, as I was discussing about this with one of my pals at work.

You have couple of options:

1. File for your child at the Canadian Consulate in Buffalo and pay the necessay fees

2. Get a Us passport for your child. Go to Canada, and you child will be admitted as a visitor. Once you enter Canada, you can apply for you child on humanitarian grounds. Make sure you get your childs passport stamped by Canada Customs/Immigration, since you need to enclose a copy of this along with the application.
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/applications/handc.html

As a visitor your child will be allowed to stay for 6 months. You will be allowed to extend the visa by paying $75. The fees for filing for PR status under Humnanitarian grounds is $150, and it might take anywhere from 6months to 18 months.

Even though the kit dosen't say anything about taxes etc.etc., most probably you might be asked to provide your tax assessments, and proof of Income to support your child in Canada, before approval of the same.

Good Luck!!

Vault:

I am Canadian PR. My baby was born in US recently. When we are returning to Canada from US they(Canada Customs/Immigration) never stamped on my child's passport. If we don't have this stamping, will it affect my baby's PR processing. Please let me know.

Are you Canadian Citizen? Did you purchased Health insurance(in Canada) for your baby when you bought your baby back from US? Please let me know through which insurance company(in Canada) we can get decent health coverage. Also let me know how much you paid for your baby's health insurance. Your suggestions are greatly appreciated

Thanks!

Originally posted by doll
Vault:

I am Canadian PR. My baby was born in US recently. When we are returning to Canada from US they(Canada Customs/Immigration) never stamped on my child's passport. If we don't have this stamping, will it affect my baby's PR processing. Please let me know.

(I am not sure if this will effect the processing. You are supposed to enclose passport copies of your baby. The kit clearly states that the passport must be stamped. Call CIC and see what they have to say. Did you file the application for your baby? If so did you file it under the Humanitarian/Compassionate grounds?)

Are you Canadian Citizen? Did you purchased Health insurance(in Canada) for your baby when you bought your baby back from US? Please let me know through which insurance company(in Canada) we can get decent health coverage. Also let me know how much you paid for your baby's health insurance. Your suggestions are greatly appreciated

(No I am not a Canadian Citizen. My kid's application was filed along with my application, hence I didn;t have to purchase any health insurance. I used the Health Insurance I had through my US Employer. In the past when my relatives and my mother visited me in Canada, I had purchased insurance through a broker. His name is Ray Battison. I have provided you his web site link below. I don't know as to how much the insurance would cost. You should probably call him and find out).

http://www3.sympatico.ca/ray.battiston/

Thanks!

Originally posted by raju4usa
when you are a canadian, doesnt your kid entitle to become a canadian citizen..?

thanks,
raj

The baby can be a Canadian citizen only if the child is born in Canada or the parents are Canadian Citizens.

Hi Every buddy,

Iam a canadian, born in India. suppose I have a kid who will be born outside canada or in USA, Is baby entitle to have a canadian citizenship...?

thanks advance

raju4usa

Iam a canadian, born in India. suppose I have a kid who will be born outside canada or in USA, Is baby entitle to have a canadian citizenship...?
Yes. Refer to: http://laws.justice.gc.ca/en/C-29/31864.html

3. (1) Subject to this Act, a person is a citizen if

(b) the person was born outside Canada after February 14, 1977 and at the time of his birth one of his parents, other than a parent who adopted him, was a citizen;