How does EAD / AP Renewal work ?

max2k1

Registered Users (C)
Hi:

Kick me in my backside if my question is an FAQ !

OK -- I plan to apply for my 485/EAD and AP. Given the delay in getting 485s approved, I expect to have atleast 1 or 2 renewals of EAD and AP.
Given that we need to apply atleast 4 months before the expiry, how does INS date these documents ?
Say if my EAD and AP are valid till Sep 1, 2004 and I apply for renewal now ---
Would my new EAD and AP be valid till Sep 1, 2005 ? Do they "post-date" the effective and expiration dates ? Or will they date it depending on when they approved it ? ( which will mean that I lose about 2 months every time I renew ... )

Hope this an easy question as well :)

The effective date for the new EAD and AP is the data when they got approved. That means there may be somehow overlap for you new and old EADs and APs. So, if you have to wait for your 484 for 2 years, you will 3 EADs and APs.

Hmmm .... not surprising as it generates a nice revenue stream :)

Well what the heck - we wait for 2 yrs - why should I care about one more EAD and AP ?!?!

I got my EAD renewal, it is effective from 7/24/2004 for one year as my current EAD is valid upto 7/23/2004. So seems now there is no overlap

Originally posted by max2k1
Hmmm .... not surprising as it generates a nice revenue stream :)

Well what the heck - we wait for 2 yrs - why should I care about one more EAD and AP ?!?!

They used to do overlaps. I lost four damn months because of that (attorney recommended to file it in advance.) I think people were complaining so they started to set effective date to the date right after one's previous EAD expires. There was a discussion about this some time ago. All recent filers were saying that they didn't have any overlaps.

On the other hand, who knows? May be it still depends on the person who adjudicates your EAD request.

Originally posted by uplko
I got my EAD renewal, it is effective from 7/24/2004 for one year as my current EAD is valid upto 7/23/2004. So seems now there is no overlap

Interesting, cuz I thought they started issuing the EAD's for two years instead of one from the last few months. May be I wasnt paying attention while reading the other comments about the EAD approvals.

Cheers!
Currys

No overlap in my EAD

I have applied for 2-nd EAD well in advance.
The new EAD was issued the next day after the first EAD has expired.

max2k1,
orginally posted
Kick me in my backside if my question is an FAQ !
How tall are you..., I will let my 7 yr old daughter know this..., she is a brown belt in Tae Kwon Do. She can have a free board breaking practice.
Take it easy.